1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've got an allotment!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by NellyFUF, Mar 19, 2011.

1. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Well three actually.
    Going to have backache.

2. Good for you! None available round us [​IMG]

3. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I must have been dreaming - I thought there was a gardening forum on TES!

4. Spanakopita

Spanakopita New commenter

Is that why you got the allotment, Nelly?

5. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

No I like gardening. I want to experiment with no dig gardens.

6. No dig gardening - brilliant. I can help if you need it - used to teach it.

7. No gardening forum - we are all on the cookery forum. There is an allotment thread there [​IMG]

8. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

OK thanks.
    There are lots of unused allotments in this place. It's not very close to where I live. I helped my kids dig and tend them last year..... they are moving but still have the allotments til October. The allotments are in Bradford and there are loads that are not being tended. My daughter is going to help her friend with one near me if she can because her friend has PND at the moment.
    I was thinking of planting some spuds and just flowers or anything I feel like planting, and just mowing - but will need a tough battery powered lawn mower to do that. And maybe just leaning on my spade with a flask of tea to hand, kind of posing.
    It is part of my escape fantasy. I would really just like to live on the edge of a valley in the Pennines with a few acres and a goat. I have seen an awesome wreck up North and like to dream.... this will just be a fill in while I footle around.

9. If there are so many unused allotments, why do schools not use them, if in the vicinity?

10. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I don't know.

11. Maybe you could suggest it to them? [​IMG]

12. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

It's not my local authority. Where I work the allotments are very much in demand - and we also grow vegetables in our workplace in raised beds. But I don't know much about Bradford really. I did my teacher training there but that was in the time when dinosaurs walked the earth.

13. Why would that stop you making the suggestion?

14. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Congratulations! I am very surprised to hear that there are loads of free plots. The waiting list is at least 5 years here and probably more and then you will only get one third of a plot. . I am off to my allotment in a moment after lunch, lots of digging and planting to get one with and it is a rare dry sunny day on a day off.

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Lucky you Nelly....om my allotment site we have a waiting list of 30 folk and we have over 120 allotments.Its a wonde they have so many free.i bet if it was advertised they would soon go.
    Ps if you need any help pleasee ask.not tha\t i know everything.

16. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

I had a little look today. It is not as glorious as I remembered. But still - I think it may be nearly quarter of an acre!
    I plan to get up there in the easter hols, soon to be upon us - and whatever I can grow I will.
    I just love to be in the muck. Love digging and planting and pottering. I guess 30 mins drive is nothing compared to the pleasure I will get from seeing stuff grow. I also have a polytunnel there - I cleared it out from rampant strange seedy grass last Autumn, atishoo - but I don't think I can use it because I won't be able to water everyday.