1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've got a wonderful opportunity for you...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by WB, Apr 2, 2018.

1. Sisyphus_rolls_again

Sisyphus_rolls_again Established commenter

The phrase 'power ranger' has an uncomplimentary meaning amongst bikers.

Shedman and drvs like this.
  2. wow wow wow, what opportunity?

3. NotAPowerRanger

NotAPowerRanger New commenter

haha, two of my children have loved Power Rangers over the years, although it seems pretty carp to me!

The name was in part as a result of a head I had when training that expected you to work extremely long hours every single day. I'm sure the school's high turnover of staff is not connected in any way.

Shedman and Mrsmumbles like this.
  4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Looks good on the CV!

5. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Another extremely common management ploy is this. Heap praise upon your underling, telling them what a bright future they have, BUT don't give them any more money. When in industry I used to warn younger staff about this ploy just before they went in for a review. Management really hated me doing this when the person then turned round and said that nice words where a lot cheaper than a pay rise.

emerald52 likes this.
  6. Jolly_Roger12

Jolly_Roger12 Occasional commenter

Similar happens in teaching, @David Getling. The offer of a 'wonderful opportunity' is linked to pay progression, or a hedge against pay regression, or just might keep your job when redundancies come around again.

@Mrsmumbles: I get the 'will look good on your CV' routine when offered yet another unpaid job. At 62? As if? Perhaps they mean 'will look good on my autopsy report'?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2018