1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've got a wonderful opportunity for you...

Discussion in 'Education news' started by WB, Apr 2, 2018.

1. WB

WB New commenter

Whenever my head come up to me and says, "I've got a wonderful opportunity for you..." she really means she wants a mug to do extra work and not get paid for it.
    Am I being cynical or do others feel the same?

lulu57, bevdex, sabrinakat and 2 others like this.
  2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

3. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

House of Fraser

4. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

C&A

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I used to work at C & A. First thing you had to learn was what it stood for.

6. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

As we say to kids, when offered something bad, "just say no".

emerald52 likes this.
  7. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Cigarettes and Alcohol?

There where a couple near me in London. I remember how they economised by having ultra-low lighting (before such a thing was Hollister trendy...) and how there was always the feeling of jumble sale about the place...

Sometimes I travel to The Netherlands, purely to visit a C&A...

8. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Lead commenter

Hmmm - thanks for that one WB. I usually start off with "I wonder if you could do something for me" when I want my husband to do a job, but his face always clouds over and I add: 'I don't mean to do it right now, but a little job to put on your list' etc etc Now tomorrow morning I will try: 'I've a wonderful opportunity for you' - and these words will precede: 'because two of the drains at the back of the house need clearing out as we've got flooding because it's not running away down the drain.' So, does that sound better?

9. george1963

george1963 Occasional commenter

I liked this, it made me smile... "I've got a wonderful opportunity for you." I'll see if I can use that in my conversations today :)

Of course it's Boulangerie but everyone's got their quirks. Even me :)

10. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

I'm sure there's a very inappropriate joke about this...couldn't possibly write it on here!!!

sabrinakat likes this.
  11. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Occasional commenter

Never step into an office with polythene sheets on the wall..... and the floor... and over the windows...

drvs likes this.
  12. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Pass it onto your much more deserving colleagues who are far better qualified for it to boot.

13. aypi

aypi Occasional commenter

"Oh, do you think. I am sure there are more deserving cases"

14. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

OK. I'm going to tell my C and A joke. This used to be an Irish joke but I shall de-nationalise it.

A bloke at work was always putting his work boots on the wrong feet so to help him his mate wrote the letter R on his right boot and L on the left boot. The mate explained to the bloke that R stood for right and that boot went on his right foot and L stood for left and that boot went on his left foot.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

NotAPowerRanger and bevdex like this.
  15. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I always dodged such 'opportunities' by replying that as a one person department I felt fully committed to giving my students the very best I could and any distractions from that would be detrimental to the students' learning and experience and surely SLT wouldn't want that would they?

16. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  17. NotAPowerRanger

NotAPowerRanger New commenter

This isn't really isolated to teaching though. It's a decades (if not centuries) old management ploy used pretty much everywhere.

18. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I used to love the power rangers. I had to watch the show because my now grown up daughters always watched it and I grew to like it. I thought the monster costumes were just great. I'm sorry you're not a power ranger.

sabrinakat likes this.
  19. captain scarlet

captain scarlet Occasional commenter

oo missus titter ye not.

I know the same one.
    Bit rude gor here though. I'd get kicked out, what!

mrajlong likes this.
  20. mrajlong

mrajlong Established commenter

Shedman told it already!!

Shedman likes this.