1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've got a screw loose!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by angiebabe, May 3, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Yes, yes I know what you are all thinking - that I've had a screw loose for quite some time!
    However, this is serious. I do have a screw loose. Today I set about constructing a caste iron chiminea. Well I'm very proud of myself as it has all gone together beautifully except for one thing. On going round tightening all the nuts and bolts (as per instructions) I found one screw with no washers or bolt on the end!
    Now I am positive that when I looked at all the pieces every single one had a nut and bolt already attached to it so I had to unscrew each one before it could be attached. I do not recall one that I did not have to do this to. I also dont recall putting in a screw and then looking for the washers etc to attch. I am completely mystified!!! How bizarre. Do you think I have a poltergist in my garden - or am I going ga-ga? If its the second one please be kind to me and dont tell me [​IMG]

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Yes, yes I know what you are all thinking - that I've had a screw loose for quite some time!
    However, this is serious. I do have a screw loose. Today I set about constructing a caste iron chiminea. Well I'm very proud of myself as it has all gone together beautifully except for one thing. On going round tightening all the nuts and bolts (as per instructions) I found one screw with no washers or bolt on the end!
    Now I am positive that when I looked at all the pieces every single one had a nut and bolt already attached to it so I had to unscrew each one before it could be attached. I do not recall one that I did not have to do this to. I also dont recall putting in a screw and then looking for the washers etc to attch. I am completely mystified!!! How bizarre. Do you think I have a poltergist in my garden - or am I going ga-ga? If its the second one please be kind to me and dont tell me [​IMG]

3. A sign of a good work person is the amount of bits left over.
    I can construct a complete wickes kitchen and still have enough bolts/screws/strange plasticy things left over to build a Mars Lander.

4. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Bellerophon might have left it behind*

*I am better-versed in mythology than spelling

5. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

It's an old trick we would play on electronic service engineers when I worked in the NHS. They'd dismantle a piece of equipment to find out what was wrong with it, then when they went off to the store room to get a new part, we'd add a couple more screws to the pile. Sure enough, they wouldn't realise there were extra screws until they'd completely re-assembled the equipment.
    Of course, they'd have to take it all apart again to find out where the screws went. If you were lucky, something would call them away from their bench, giving you the chance to retrieve the extra screws.
    I think the consequent head scratching is the reason that so many electronic service engineers suffer from premature baldness.

6. No wonder the NHS budget hit nearly £300 in 1978...brought the Labour government to its knees.

You are to blame for Maggie....

7. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Now if that was me angiebabe I'd be rummaging in my spare screw box like a good 'un to find a replacement. I am one of those saddoes who never throws screws or fixtures away, and often re-uses old ones too.

8. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

Aha - that is exactly what I did! I found a rusty nut but no washers, probably needed to rummage a bit further but I'd lost the will by then. No-one will see the missing stuff and it all feels very secure. I did check that I hadn't put 2 onto 1 though, which I thought was a good call but alas not the case.

9. Surfy please tell me you, too, have jam jar lids screwed to the underside of a shelf so that you can screw said jam jars full of m3 countersunks (or whatever) into said lids for easy storage.

10. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

So you managed to drill another hole to accept the extra screw then?

11. That is so rude on so many levels.

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Most definitely not Bauble - I said I was a saddo but I'm not THAT sad.

Mind you, after spending nearly 20 minutes rummaging in vain through a single box half filled with assorted screws, nuts, and washers, I do occasionally dream about neat little properly-organised jam jars all in a row...

13. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

No, no, no! There wasn't an extra screw just missing thingywhatsists to complete the whateveritscalled.
    Nothing double entendre about that in my mind[​IMG]