1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've got a medic!!! :-)

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by noemie, Sep 5, 2012.

1. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Hi all, I just wanted to share a personal victory. People who know me on here will know I have a personal vendetta going on against the scientists at my school who constantly brainwash our future medics that they must have three sciences and maths, blablabla. One of my top students phoned up UCL, who told him that they would much rather he dropped physics and did a facilitating subject instead, one that showed empathy and an open mind. So he's taking French!
    This is the second university (after Birmingham) which I know of that actively looks for something else that 3x sciences and maths in future doctors.
    I'm now learning the basics of trumpet playing so I can go and play outside the science staffroom! [​IMG]

2. I have a close friend who studied Chemistry, Biology and French under the old 2 year A - levels, who is a doctor in a hospital in the North East.
    French is close to latin - useful for medical terminology and also if you want to go and doctor abroad - medecins sans frontiers.

3. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

There's a REAL shortage of doctors in rural France, too, as newly qualified young ones prefer city life, so good job prospects.

4. Fantastic news!
    A friend's son is studying A2s in Maths, Further Maths, Physics and French. Now that should set him apart from all the other Maths nerds applying to Oxbridge. (Sorry about the generalisation, but my experience tends to confirm the stereotype).

5. buttongirl

buttongirl New commenter

Ooh, me too, and I'm thrilled! They put French in a different option box this year (long story) which meant it didn't clash with Maths, and I pushed the "you'll be a more rounded person" angle and talked about MSF and I've got a future medic too - she's doing French, Maths, Biology and Chemistry. Well done on your success! Get that trumpet out and toot it! ;-)

6. musiclover1

musiclover1 New commenter

That's good news, noemie, I'm sure your student will really enjoy that combination.