1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've got a job at a college but I can't do my NQT there. Is that a problem?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by impossibility, Jul 21, 2015.

1. impossibility

impossibility New commenter

Hi all,

I'm finally glad to say I've got a job and I'm really pleased with it. The college is outstanding, the staff are lovely and seem supportive and it is teaching my degree subject which I know and love. I found out today though that I can't complete my NQT year at this college as they are not registered for it. I am not considering backing out because I would be in no better situation if I was doing supply, but I am wondering where this leaves me further down the line.

I definitely will not be going back to secondary which I am trained in, and I plan to stick with sixth form. I know you don't need QTS to do this, so I don't know where my NQT year comes in to this. I would like to do my NQT year at some point because it seems like it is the extra stamp on my PGCE's validity. If I apply for other jobs further down the line (that will allow me to do NQT) will it look bad that I haven't completed my NQT? So for example, if in a few years I applied for another teaching job at a sixth form, would they see this as a bad thing?

I just want to know for future reference and also for how much urgency I should give looking for another job whilst I'm at this one!

Thanks. And thanks for all the help and guidance over the past year. I was hoping once I got a job I would be able to leave the jobseekers forums but something tells me that may not be the case!

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well done for getting that job!

You need to talk to your HoD at college about how not having done your induction year would impact on future job applications in SFC. It's been some time since I was a Vice-Principal in FE, and things may have changed since then.

You might also ask the Professional Development team if there is any mileage in gaining a FE teaching qualification - perhaps converting your PGCE if that is possible.

Certainly if you ever wanted to teach in a secondary school that required QTS (Academies and Free Schools don't HAVE to require it, although most do), then getting your induction year over and done ASAP would be best.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Well done.

I was going ro say that this is something you should have brought up at interview, and normally it would be. I agree with your point though, at this stage of the year it probably was not going to be a deciding factor. May have been if you had another interview next week though...

I think it is important for you to do the NQT year. It opens more doors for you.

emmm. Without meaning to be the purveyor of doom, I am not sure you can say that.

1)

What if your views on teaching changed over the next few years? There must have been something after all what made you train....

2)

Imagine the scenario. Budget cuts in education. FE jobs are notoriously volatile. You lose your job. You may need (at least in the short term) look at schools. You cannot though as you would be a risk to a school/agency even if the 5 year rule has not kicked in.

I am not sure. It is not an advantage though. Bear in mind that jobs are often sought after and there are far fewer sixth forms than schools that are 11-18.

For me, it would not be far from my mind. If a job comes up, i would look to consider it. Problem is I am not sure how many jobs in sixth forms will unless you can up sticks and move really.

4. John_in_Luton

John_in_Luton Occasional commenter

Er, no. 'because they have chosen not to register for it' is the phrase you're looking for. It's certainly possible to do the NQT year in a sixth form college (my local college uses me as their Appropriate Body for NQTs) and it can also be done in FE as long as they meet the conditions in terms of your role.

5. impossibility

Yes, that's what I meant. I know it's possible to do your NQT in a sixth form. The two colleges nearest to me both offer the NQT year. My college said they have never had need to register for it and it costs them money to do it so there's just no incentive.

6. impossibility

Ugh I just had replies typed out for all three. I wasn't sure it there was a way to quote three separate people. Apparently I didn't do it correctly. Anyway.

Theo - Thank you, I will certainly talk to them about it. I didn't know you had been in FE. I thought you were in primary for some reason.

I never thought to convert my PGCE or do an extra qualification. As far as I knew QTS applied to anything? I have A-Level experience from my PGCE so never thought I'd need to do anything else.

Dynamo - For the record, I did ask them about it. I actually even asked them before the interview, as to which they told me they would look into it and we could talk about it at the interview, then I got to the interview and they still weren't sure so they had to seek out someone who knew. I think the fact they had to try so hard to find out meant I knew the answer!

I would absolutely not go back to secondary teaching. I did have a reason for training in it at the time, but I always wanted to teach A-Level, I just thought training in secondary would allow me to have a back up seeing as there aren't that many FE jobs. Turns out it wasn't a very good back up because I didn't really enjoy secondary teaching, but oh well. If I was to lose my job, I'd much rather go into pastoral/support than go back to secondary. But it is besides the point because no matter what my plans are I definitely do want to do the NQT year regardless.

I will keep an eye out for other jobs, I guess. It will be a shame if I really like it at this college though. I'll just have to see what comes up and in what subjects.

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Good luck!

8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I think even if you do the NQT year in FE then you still have to do so many hours (or is it days?) in secondary to pass your induction year.

May be totally wrong here, but that is what I heard.

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Yes.

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, where she answers jobseeking and careers queries regularly each week.

10. impossibility

Whaaaaaat?! So when FE colleges say they can offer the NQT year, they actually can't? Or they have links to secondary schools or something?

If this is the case then I just won't do my NQT year. It obviously must be less of an issue for FE colleges if it is not even possible to 100% complete the year there.

11. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

It doesn't mean it is less of an issue, no. I am not sure how you get at this. To get your NQT sine you need some experience of compulsory education. Can I say that I wonder what it is you expect to find in a sixth form so different to a phase you seemingly wouldn't touch with a barge pole...

12. impossibility

How is it not less of an issue, seeing as it is not compulsory to do your NQT to work in sixth form?

The reason I don't want to work in secondary is mainly because of the subject I trained to teach. I don't want to teach that again. I can't teach my degree subject in secondary school, so I always felt out of my depth teaching in secondary because it was a subject where my knowledge was poor and it affected my enjoyment and confidence. I also prefer teaching the older groups.