1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've finally bought a car!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by piglet171, Feb 13, 2011.

1. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

Oh very classy! I wanted a black Kia Rio but I couldn't afford a new one so ended up with boring common silver - but my upholstery is very nice! Hope yours is too!

2. Oh, congratulations! Very exciting! ( I love getting a new car...although I have only had 'new to me' new cars! However, having seen the bit on Top Gear where they did the forensic stuff on some old BMWs and found loads of bogies and scabs I am really tempted to buy new next time!!)

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

I had a Picanto for 3 years until a miserable *** wrote it off ------------- I loved that car with every fibre of my being: nippy, easy to park; economical; high roof area so my 6'2" elderly father could get in without banging his head....!
    I curse the bloke who wrote it off daily: I have been reduced to a Chevrolet M<atiz (the only thing i cxould fford on teh insurance payout!

4. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Well done - it makes you feel proud doesn't it? I was nearly 50 before I had a brand new car registered in my name.

5. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Not sure about proud as I don't really care about cars. It just worked out just as cheap to buy new than a good second hand one. However,I'm nearly 50 too........

6. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

I have not got it yet as I've ordered it yesterday but demonstrator car was nice. I was very proud of myself to be so decisive after searching online for months! Drove 30 or so miles to another small town rather than 15 miles to big City in order to avoid going to big dealership full of clones car oily salesmen in cheap suits. Got a lovely woman who was straightforward and not full of s**t!

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I think new cars are fab!
    So many people talk about depreciation etc etc but I think its great to get a new car. Its under warrenty and just something so nice about it being yours, you know how its been looked after from day one and you can get all the extra bits & colours just how you wanted. There are no worries about passing MOT etc for first few years and if you keep it until its dying day I really don't think its any dearer than buying second hand. Couldn't be any happier with my motor [​IMG]
    Happy Driving!! How long do you have to wait? You waiting for the 'new' plate? x

8. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

The downside being that it lasts forever. I have had my van for 13 years and I just keep hoping it has some sort of catastrophic failure. I want a new one but what I have now is cheap, effective and too good to throw away.

9. Same here with my car Lurkio....it's too good to scrap - body work is immaculate, it hasn't dated because that model is still being made - with just a few refinements - and it's only done 56000 miles after 11 yrs. The cam belt went recently though....[​IMG](could have been the end for my faithful and trusty motor) but it is being mended by friends who know about engines and who are only charging me for parts, bless 'em.
    Hey, congrats Catmother, and I wish you lots of happy motoring! [​IMG]

10. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Yes,I'm getting a new plate. I did not buy it to get a new plate and was not aware it was coming up in March as I don't pay attention to those things but the salewoman said as it meant something! I'm getting it in a few weeks which is fine as my own car is still ok. It just really needed changed before next MOT as it has costed me loads of money the last two years. I'm glad that I finally made the decision and that I don't have to look anymore.

11. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

Chapeau!! [​IMG]
    Delighted for you catmum, and I really hope it's going to make a big difference on those winter commutes.

12. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Unfortunatly,the problem with my commute on snow days is not the car but where I live in relation to where I teach!

13. kibosh

kibosh Star commenter

I think somewhere along the way I had picked up on that aspect of things, but I also got the impression from your previous thread (about this car) that you were looking for feedback on it's snow handling capabilities. Perhaps i am mistaken.
    Regardless, I hope you enjoy your new wheels [​IMG]

14. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

No,you were right about the feedback about snow handling. My own car needed replacing and I wanted to make sure that cars I was considering were ok on snow as some cars are not great. However,my biggest problem is where I'm driving from in relation to where I have to drive.That could only be solved by changing schools (not likely to happen considering job situation) or moving house....

15. piglet171

piglet171 New commenter

"Yes,I'm getting a new plate."
    When I first read that, I thought you were getting a personalised one and all my illusions of you as a sane and sensible person were shaken, however I'll let you off with a new one!! Enjoy!!

16. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

A personalised registration! No way. No,apparently it changes on the first of March,therefore new car will be new reg. Means nothing to me but there you are.

17. Makes a big difference down the line if and when you sell.

18. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Yes,I understand this. However,what I meant was that it's a coincidence that I've bought the car at change of registration time. I remember when it used to be once a year,it used to be such a big deal around here. All those people in their expensive new cars. Oil money can be very vulgar!!!

19. Try telling that to J.R. :¬))

20. catmother

catmother Lead commenter

Plenty J.R wannabees around here!