1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've failed 2 media interviews due to 'lack of structure' in my microteach - PLEASE HELP!

Discussion in 'Media studies' started by rahman4media, Jun 13, 2011.

1. I've had two interviews for Media Studies and my interview itself is strong.
    My microteach however, according to the feedback, states that although my students liked me, favoured me and enjoyed my use of ILT and friendly approach, I lacked any objective to follow. It seeemed that I didn't have any structure and that I didn't know what my students were supposed to learn.
    When I read this, my first reaction was 'ouch!'. But I can take criticism. Only wish they would tell me how to improve.
    So I have a third interview next Monday.
    What can I do in my micro teach to give it structure?
    I'm feeling a bit down knowing I was this close to getting the job. Please, if anybody can help, I'll be really grateful.
    Rahman4Media.
    Thanks.

2. voicelikemans

voicelikemans New commenter

Have one or at most two really strong learning intentions - by the end of the lesson students will understand /be able to...It depends on the school as to whether you 'have' to share these with students or not, but you need to know what they are, and that needs to be obvious in your planning and in how you deliver the lesson.
    Make sure that every activity is focused on heping them to achieve these intentions. If it doesn't lead to the intentions, chuck it out, however exciting it is - find something else that actually fits the intentions. Hopefully something just as exciting.
    Make sure you know what success will look like at a variety of levels - what are you expecting them ALL to achieve / know by the end? What can you add to ensure there is challenge for all ability levels, so they ALL learn something new (even if it's a new way to think about something)?
    Get the students to reflect on what they have learnt at the end, so that you can gauge how much progress they made towards your intentions. Don't just get them to recap - that's too easy.

3. I agree - too much can go wrong with video too. Keep it simple to save time and make it active for the students - small groups, each one with something different to look at and feedback to the class. Minimal teacher talk except for really clear explanations, time limits given and some questioning to draw out detailed answers. If you make them all speak (or as many as possible) - that's inclusive and means you can assess whether they have learned anything. Think of a quick plenary - summarise points they have learned and maybe add a theory quote to back up what they have discovered. Classic ones are getting them to write on a post it what they have learned or what they haven't understood.
    I would do print advertising as it is a quite clear area of gender stereotyping. How about looking at how beauty products and toiletries are advertised to the different genders. In recent years there has been a great increase in these for men but the images and language used to sell them is very masculine and techy. They make them sound like adverts for engine oil with lots of sciency diagrams and technical terminology.
    Hope that helps. Good luck!

4. Microteach, what a horrible expression that is.

5. Yes that must have knocked your confidence, but don't forget that your observed lesson is there to show what you can do - it is the interviewing panels only chance to see you teaching so playing safe is not always the answer.
    All lessons should be planned around what you intend students to learn and in any lesson you should build in clear strategies for checking their progress at any given time (progress can include knowledge or ability to apply, not just advancement in task). In other words, its not really a lesson if there aren't any clear objectives to the activities taking place - it's just 'doing'. Objectives don't have to be read out word for word as you'd write on a lesson plan - they could be part of an engaging starter activity. I use video a lot combined with quick teaching and learning activities to engage students before a main task and use questioning throughout the lesson, literally going round while they are doing the main activity and asking really in depth questions to check whether they are on track - you will find that behaviour is less of an issue as well because students will see you carefully monitoring individual progress. I have quite large media groups (20 to 28) and have to micro manage their learning really carefully.
    Have a look at an OFSTED framework for good/outstanding and check your lesson against it - try to plan it with a colleague (pref media) too (I have a good ofsted framework if you need one). Find interesting and unusual ways of presenting and developing what you want them to learn and Im sure you'll secure a post. Good luck with the interviews!
    http://swanwickhallmedia.weebly.com/

6. I think find out what spec it is and match it up to the unit - If they are asking you to do a microteach often they are thinking in terms of the spec that is already in place- how does it link to it- they will probably ask you something in the interview about how you feel it went or why did you do a certain something?
    In my experience showing that you can create a good rapport with students and if they enjoy but learn at the same time -
    hope this helps

7. Don't leave us hanging....did you get the job?

8. Do you need any more help? How did it go?