1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've embarrassed myself!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by purplecardigan, Jan 26, 2012.

1. I don't necessarily expect a reply to this because it's done but I feel the need to 'get it off my chest'.
    The other evening we had a full staff meeting at school. Normally I don't say boo to a goose but I had an issue I wanted to raise. Anyway to cut a long story short I raised it badly and felt I'd embarrassed/upset a colleague and put her on the spot. I could have phrased things much better and known when to shut up.I have to say it is out of character; after the meeting I immediately apologised and to her credit she graciously accepted. Of course the questioning of her actions was in public and the apology in private.
    The problem is my thoughts keep wandering back to it. I really wish I hadn't embarrassed her in that way I would hate to be on the receiving end and goodness knows what opinion my colleagues have of me. Do you think people have short memories?

2. grammarlady

grammarlady Occasional commenter

Been there. Done that. Outgrown the t-shirt.
    Everyone else will have forgotten it long before you do. I'm still kicking myself over stuff I did two decades ago!

3. I agree with Grammarlady but I feel for you - I still writhe with embarrassment about some of the things I've bottled up and then blurted out in all the wrong ways!,
    Tomorrow ( and the day after that) is another day.

4. In time it'll seem like nothing. Good old time [​IMG]

5. I wonder if you could publicly 'back her up' over something. I imagine she'd appreciate that.

6. Thank you. It's reassuring to know other people have done this. I like the idea of 'backing her up'.
    PCx

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Why not give her a small bunch of flowers or a plant - quietly, but in the staffroom so some people see - with a short apology and say these are to cheer her day?

8. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I did this to a young fitness/healthy eating instructor at the gym only this week (disagreed with her about the amount of water we need to drink and the necessity at 60yrs of age to carry a water bottle around all day!! - my soapbox). Anyway she didn't seem flustered but I really should have kept my opinions to myself. She is doing a half way decent job teaching people about healthy eating but she is doing absolutely nothing to motivate said overweight people which I think is really the point of the course. Am really disappointed about it is really what I'm saying.