1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've done it! I quit!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by boubou, Oct 9, 2015.

1. boubou

boubou New commenter

This week, I have handed in my resignation. Not because I have found a new post, but because I have had enough of the education system. The long hours, the dedication...they are all part of the package. So these are not the reasons why I am saying goodbye to the teaching profession. It is because I am fed of all the useless paperwork, box-ticking tasks that take over our life, instead of being able to plan our lessons and resources.
    Being a teacher was a career ambition since I was 11 year old. I wanted to share my skills and give students the thirst for knowledge, always pushing higher, the sky was the limit.
    But I've hit the ceiling of that profession. After ten years experience and some of them as HoD, I'm leaving. I am so frustrated. I cannot accept any longer this shamble, I will not accept what we are asked to do. I cannot look at my students and hide the fact that they are considered as data, numbers, letters. Not teenagers. We have to get them through no matter what the cost, even to the point of them breaking down under the pressure...
    I cannot be part of this. Sorry.
    My Headteacher told me it was a big loss to the school and the profession and wished he could do something to change the system...
    Well, yes, actually. If all Headteachers were telling the Government they were concerned about the number of their staff leaving the profession, maybe they would be heard. The only people defending us are our Unions, but even them are losing power with this Government...
    This is an exciting time now for me, but also scary, as I have no idea what career to go into. I will be doing some supply work until I find something not linked with education... Has anybody got any suggestions?
    So yes, I am one more joining the ranks of the disillusioned experienced teachers who have left the profession. And unfortunately, I know I will not be the last one...

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

I'm glad you have positive thoughts about your decision - not an easy one to take with no new job to go to.
    Just in case you don't get shown proper appreciation as you leave, may I say -
    Thank you for all that you have done to make a difference to the lives of those children you have taught.
    Theo has posted a thread today that you might find interesting. It has some info about careers other than teaching.
    Resigning from a teaching post - the How To Guide

3. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Best wishes to you. A person of honour.

And as for the words of the HT? Wished he could do something? GIVE ME STRENGTH.

Very best wishes.

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Good luck! Take some time to think. No suggestions, as I don't know what your interests are.

5. grumpydogwoman

I will echo the words of marlin. Thank you for the good you have done. I hope you find work which is both congenial to you and allows you to continue to make a difference.

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter

Should have added this snip to show you which part of the blog to look at - sorry - can't add it as an edit.
    upload_2015-10-9_12-32-0.png

7. maurice-r

maurice-r Established commenter

I resigned from my first school on my birthday, and got my next job the following afternoon. Best of luck for your future.

8. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Could you learn to program boubou?

9. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I can't fault your reasoning. I moved to an independent school three years ago. A lot of the frustrations that you refer to don't exist there. I was very shocked the first time I heard a pupil's disappointing result being blamed on them and not the teacher!
    Congratulations on your brave decision and wishing you all the best for the future.

sabrinakat, grumpydogwoman and cissy3 like this.
  10. grumpydogwoman

What???!!! 2015. The kid is chided for lack of effort!

What planet is THIS?

11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

@boubou, if you have a head teacher, who regards you as an asset and will be sorry to lose you, why is he not rising up and complaining that the education system is now truly in crisis? Why are head teachers allowing talented and committed professionals to drift through their fingers? Why are they permitting the King that is data, to be the be all and end all, forgetting that what those people who stand in front of a group of children every day actually want to do, is engage with them and build a relationship that will lead to the child gaining knowledge, understanding and enjoyment and the teacher gaining fulfilment and enjoyment- a mutually beneficial circumstance.

Simplistic? Maybe. But I've never known so many teachers burning bridges and resigning, so near to the beginning of term and so many who are so desperate, they are prepared to face an uncertain financial future.

cissy3 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

The very best of luck for your future-it's so empowering to make the decision yourself.

bombaysapphire and cissy3 like this.
  13. boubou

boubou New commenter

Thanks everyone for the wishes. And thank you marlin for the link. I'll definitely have a look.
    Yes, it's a sad time we are living. Professionals, knowledgeable people only ask to give children skills that will enable them to fulfil their potential and live an exciting and enriching life. But instead of being given the means to do this, we are told to be heartless, robots filing paperwork, bowing to the King data, as it was so accurately written...
    Yes, HT should do something. But now we are run by businesses, by people who have no idea about what education is.
    Working in an independent school crossed my mind, but I wanted to teach underprivileged children, those whose only chance to get a better life was to get a good education...

14. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

Best wishes boubou,and welcome to the land of the sane.

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I was looking at a thread on another forum and there was a significant amount of vitriol from posters! Why would we continue struggling to do the best we can for the pupils, when we are harangued on all sides. I've been quite upset by the views expressed and the complete lack of understanding of what it is hat teachers actually do.

There will be that much maligned word soon- a meltdown!

bombaysapphire and cissy3 like this.
  16. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

I realised many years ago that as everyone went to school, that makes them experts on all things educational. :rolleyes:

I got so sick and tired of explaining myself that, if challenged, I would take one of two stances.

1) If it's all so easy, why not join us?
    or
    2) Of course it's a doddle job. At night, I leave my books out so that the marking elf can do his work, and I leave out my planning folder for the planning pixie to create all my lessons.

cat2611 and lexus300 like this.
  17. boubou

boubou New commenter

I was like that too, I even had arguments with "friends " over it, my husband also tried to talk to this type of people to make them understand as he only knows too well what teachers do, having to live with one.
    Now, we simply say "you don't know what you are talking about, I won't waste my time with you... "

18. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

Absolutely agree, Bombay!

boubou - wishing you loads of luck and happy days for the future!

best wishes

19. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

This is in Spanish, but I bet you can understand it. notas = marks

notas.jpg

I hope that the O.P. can now have a more relaxed weekend since the end of the tunnel is now visible.

20. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

I wish you all the best and remember, you have now started to get your life back.