1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I’ve decided I’m leaving at end of summer term...

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by greasychipbuttie, May 12, 2019.

1. greasychipbuttie

greasychipbuttie New commenter

When do I give my notice? As my contract expires on the 31st August, end of the summer term do I have to give in it July? (4 weeks!) cheers.

2. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

Yes you can give it in on the very last day of July if you want!

Although that really depends on your job and relationship with the school, I am 1:1 and I know if I had this much time knowing that I was going to be leaving I would tell them now so that they had plenty of time to get cover and then they could meet my boy, meet me for a full handover and get a small bond with him. (It took me nearly 6 months to do this with him). However this is based on the fact that I genuinely love the school, the staff and my boy and his Mummy! So I of course would want a smooth transition for those involved.

This is obviously not what is expected of you nor what everyone has to do! So as I say as long as you give 4 weeks notice with your last day employed by the school as August 31st you can hand it in up until July 31st.

Supplylady and greasychipbuttie like this.
  3. greasychipbuttie

Thanks for your reply. I suppose in a way if i tell them this early, they could flip the situation and release me early?

I just don’t want to effect my August payment! I was thinking mid June, stating August 31st and state “out of respect and time for planning etc etc I want to give early notice...”

Thanks again, great advice.

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Hi greasychipbuttie, good advice from stargirl above. You could give your notice on 31st July, which will be in the summer holidays. But if you're absolutely sure you're going to do this, then I would advise letting them know sooner rather than later. The school will then have time to replace you if they need to - and you never know when you will want a reference from your present Head, so it seems sensible to leave on the best terms possible.

pepper5 and greasychipbuttie like this.
  5. greasychipbuttie

Thanks. Sunshine.

It’s been a bit different, I’ve only been at the school 5 months, across two spells, so I feel i “owe” the HT who kindly let me return, having taken me on, I left quickly for other opportunities but returned within a month, so quite a complex situation. Ultimately, I’ve decided it’s not for me.

Supplylady and pepper5 like this.
  6. stargirl81

stargirl81 New commenter

Hmm if your contract is up until Aug 31st I dont think they can release you early unless something serious happened ( safeguarding for example). As I say I am 1:1 and I can only be lose my job before my contract is up if my boy left the school before that date..

bear in mind after this week we have about 7/7.5 weeks left working until the summer, if something were to suddenly happen ( which I doubt) they do have to investigate etc they won't just sack you on the spot unless the HT saw you do something outrageous of course lol.

Middle of June sounds good to me and very respectful of what you said about them finding cover. Also don't worry about only being there 5 months even if it was split up... they were kind enough to let you back after the first time, to me that sounds like a decent school and HT!

Supplylady likes this.
  7. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

As the others have said you need to give 4 weeks. It’s better to finish at the end of the term really as it’s a cleaner finish if that makes sense. One of my colleagues gave her notice 2 weeks before the Easter break and included the two weeks of the break in the notice meaning she only had two weeks to work.
    It does depend on your role within school, like if you are a 1-1 as mentioned above.
    I gave notice on the first day of the summer term to give them a chance to recruit and for handover.

Supplylady likes this.
  8. Magra139jo

Magra139jo New commenter

I am a level two teaching assistant and I don't have to give any notice by law as I am working at a school nursery for a childcare agency as I am on a zero hours contract on the minimum wage which I have done three years training for, as I did an NVQ level one in childcare first then a level one and level two teaching assistant training. I get paid the minimum wage for assisting two nursery nurses with the care of five children aged two to four with special educational needs.

9. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Surely if your contract expires on 31st August you don’t need to give any notice as that is when your employment finishes. From what you have written you aren’t wanting to terminate your employment before 31st August anyway.

Supplylady and greasychipbuttie like this.
  10. greasychipbuttie

Sorry, I mis read my contract, it’s fixed term until November.

I’m struggling for employment but still really dislike where I am. Part of me is accepting that I might be unemployed for September/October and may have to look at retail and other things that wouldn’t be first choice...

Four weeks tomw...I’m absolutely done and my anxiety has shot up to the point I “dread” going to work daily! Complex needs and behaviours NOT my game, I really hope a mainstream role comes up I can apply for!

If I could and actually had the money, I’d leave today!

Day at a time...

Supplylady and SundaeTrifle like this.
  11. SundaeTrifle

SundaeTrifle Occasional commenter

Yes, time will pass ...

12. greasychipbuttie

I was speaking to friends last night who were shocked at the situations I’m involved with...be it physical or verbal abuse daily and didn’t realise “complex need schools existed”

Can’t believe how much things are affecting me! Even tho it’s only a few weeks left, the way it’s consuming my life, sleep my thoughts when I’m away from work is ridiculous!

I’ve applied for a couple of jobs and have a interview for Uni coming up but this place ruined my confidence and I don’t seem to be able to focus on these! My motivation has taken a big hit!!

Any advice? Thanks

13. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

When you first posted, there were more than 9 weeks to go … you've got through 6 of them, more than half - so only three weeks left now. You can count it in days! Just because this role hasn't worked for you doesn't mean you're not good at the job. Don't let it grind you down - apply for jobs and go for your interview at Uni. You can do it!

14. greasychipbuttie

Thankyou so much!!

This week...

Survive.
    Interview.
    Resign (regardless!)

Supplylady and sunshineneeded like this.
  15. Gsr25

I thought you had already resigned?

16. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

Keep going, you're nearly there. All the best.

greasychipbuttie likes this.
  17. greasychipbuttie

IVE RESIGNED!

Felt like a different human being today at work...and HAPPY!

New lease of life, might be a few bumps in the road ahead but nothing will get me down as much as this place!!

Ahhhhh! For the first time in ages...im going to embrace the WEEKEND without the dreaded feelings!!!

Gsr25 and Supplylady like this.
  18. Gsr25

That must be a huge amount of pressure off you now. Hopefully the next few weeks will be better now you’ve made that move.

greasychipbuttie likes this.
  19. greasychipbuttie

And...

I’ve just found out I’ve been offered a place @ Uni on the MA course!!

Haha! What a week!

20. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

Congratulations! That's fantastic news.
    Well done!