1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've cut my own hair!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by TCSC47, Mar 21, 2017.

1. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Even though I am retired, I hate going to the barbers. I don't like other people messing with my hair. So a couple of months ago I invested in an electric hair clipper. You can find quite a lot of utubes showing you how to use them on your own hair. Just to add that even though I am slowly losing my teeth --through cracking up, not decay I hasten to add--- I still have a fine head of hair all over. And still with a bit of colour -- well shade maybe.

First time, I restricted myself to 15mm depth of clipper and simply ran all over my head. It worked quite well but my wife wasn't impressed with me loosing my quiff at the front. However, it worked even though the sides of my head were a little bit dense.

Second time, I went down to 12mm on the sides and managed to trim up the edges quite straight. I went back to 15mm on the top and avoided the front leaving a proto quif in place. My wife did not comment (?) but I was quite pleased.

Third time --- bit of a disaster! I took off the depth guards to try and cut back the hair over my ears ----- I only went and scalped a couple of sq. cm. behind my ear!! Arrgh!! Just have to wait for it to grow back!

I managed what I thought was a good sharp line across the back only to be told by my wife that it looked like Hitler's hair cut. Oh My God!!

I now look like an old man who cuts his own hair! ------- Oh, hang on, that's exactly what I am!

So then -- what stupid things have you been up to recently?

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

We have dog clippers and I let the top grow long (ish) and then trim straight across the back and round the ears. And have done for a long time.

Consequently I look like this. Just marginally older (61) but a lot more distinguee.

2013-miley-cyrus-567_0.jpg

I say 'straight' across the back but I don't actually know. That's the intention but I never check.

3. elinhammar

elinhammar New commenter

Would anybody be able to guess that you do it yourself? I'm thinking it might look less professional than the cut in the image you posted.

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'd be scared of ending up with the Lobotomy Look.

Shedman, sodalime and TCSC47 like this.
  5. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

When I was a teenager my dad bought some electric hair clippers, in the first few swoops he took out a huge chunk requiring him to go to the barbers and get it fixed with the shortest hair cut I ever saw him with, he never used the clippers again. I learned my lesson.

bevdex and TCSC47 like this.
  6. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Best thread title, thank you!
    It occurs to me that your wife is happy to criticise the look of the back part, and yet she is pretty well placed to do it for you and possibly make a better job of it. You do not mention her coming up with this rather obvious offer.
    So make sure that this weekend, say, when she is carrying lots of bags from the supermarket you carry none yourself and simultaneously tell her to "hurry up now!"
    O sorry, I forgot, you wont be going out for a week or so, will you?

sodalime and TCSC47 like this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

11-edgy-dimensional-pixie.jpg

Well, I think I look fabulous.

thistledoo and TCSC47 like this.
  8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Definitely a "like" from me GDW!

thistledoo and grumpydogwoman like this.
  9. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I've been doing so for over a decade now
    My early attempts had some interesting episodes too.
    But I usually just took it all down to the same level as the "mistake" so it looked deliberate. ;)

thistledoo, sodalime and TCSC47 like this.
  10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

The very first thing she said when I pulled the newly bought clippers out of the shopping bag -- "And don't expect me to do it!".
    We've got an overnight stay in Malvern to see "Joseph 2017" at the Winter Gardens. That's why I wanted to neaten up! Just hope I don't meet anybody I know.

thistledoo, sbkrobson and sodalime like this.
  11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

My hairdresser and Kindle books will be the last things to be cut back on. I've cut back on food, clothes, meals out, outings, holidays. That'll have to do.

thistledoo and yodaami2 like this.
  12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

Could be worse though
    I know a young man who carved the short version of his girlfriend's name into his hair for Valentines Day.
    It looked great in the mirror.....

13. mrmatt73

mrmatt73 Occasional commenter

Been shaving mine for 10 years now ... I used to go to the 'salon' probably about once a month at a £25 cost. So, not taking into account any inflationary rises, have saved myself £3000 :D

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

thistledoo, bevdex and sodalime like this.
  15. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I had my hair cut 2 weeks before my wedding. The bloke was either high or drunk and he made a dreadful mess at the back - people would do a double take on the street. "Shorn" is the word I'm looking for.

"Afternoon Delight" was playing in the background. If ever I hear it I have to stifle a sob.

16. knitone

knitone Lead commenter

dlɘƨƨ!

thistledoo and sodalime like this.
  17. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Top notch!. Is that Chrissie Hynde crooning in that clip? I love her voice:)

18. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

In a mirror would it not be sselb?

thistledoo and Didactylos4 like this.
  19. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

:D:D:D

thistledoo and bevdex like this.
  20. sodalime

sodalime Star commenter

Oh no, confusion alert! :confused::confused:

thistledoo and Didactylos4 like this.