1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've broken up, but cannot stop planning! Are you the same?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ProfHarry, Jul 27, 2011.

1. I am so addicted to reading posts on TES that since breaking up last Friday 22nd July I haven't stopped thinking about work. I'm in Year 3 next year and wanting to get planning, buy things for my classroom and meet with my 'new partner' to plan for the new term. I've even considered ringing a coach company to start organising a school trip to the local theatre to see a Horrible History show.
    But what I'm really worried about is when should I have a holiday? No chance of jetting off anywhere or travelling around the UK due to my other half working and savings being used to help our own children through university.
    What do others do? Are you like me and plan constantly; finding new ideas from TES? Or do you take a week or two out and not do anything at all to do with work?

2. I broke up at the beginning of July, and have been planning on and off ever since :S I partly do it because I love finding new ideas and getting organized for next year, but I also feel a lot of pressure to carry on working during holidays, weekends etc, because that seems the norm amongst the other staff.

Next year I'm teaching courses that have never been taught in the school before, so there are no SOW or resources. I HAVE to use the holidays to get all that done, as my head will be expecting to see my planning on the first INSET day back.

I have heard other teachers say they can hash out a great SOW in 24 hours, but I'm just not able to do that. It takes me a while to find suitable resources, plan interesting activities, fit in assessment opportunities etc.

On the plus side, I get to do the work at a leisurely pace, from the comfort of my sofa, with tea and biscuits close to hand.

3. spannaintheworks

spannaintheworks New commenter

I also am a bit addicted to work and my job.
    I love work and have very mixed feelings at the end of the year: relief, elation and sadness. I've checked my work emails most days and am in two days this week for summer school.
    I've lined up some trips out including a week in London but it does take me a week or two to get into the swing of all this leisure time. Like the classic insomniac you just start relaxing the hour before your alarm is due to go off, I enjoy the holidays most the two weeks before I'm back at work. Then gearing back up again is the problem. [​IMG]

4. I'm thinking about work and have a classroom of my own for the first time in a few years. I will still spend most of the summer resting although I'll do a little planning and will spend a fair chunk of the last week in school setting up my room - so out of the habit though after years of supply and doing PPA cover. I also expect to meet up with my year group colleagues during that week if they're in.
    I will also be attending a fertility clinic and preparing for another IVF cycle. That is certainly my top priority for the next few months - there are some things that are more important than work.
    I'd advise everyone to take some time out - spending six weeks planning and preparing is not healthy when you have a long term ahead. If you don't rest now, it's no rest til Christmas - that's assuming you can even rest at Christmas!

5. Marshall

Marshall Occasional commenter

My own rule - I get out of school asap and don't go in until a couple of days before we go back. That said - I spend time at home planning, etc - when I want to and inbetween doing other 'stuff' eg gardening, housework, etc.
    It works for me but I know others are different!

6. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

yes you do need the rest but do whatever will help you. I have the first week to 'recover' catch up on sleep etc then will go into school for at least 4 full days but have the advantage of going whenever i feel like it. I can work around the cleaning, ie make a mess before the cleaners go in and do the finishing off after they have been in.

medium term planning is done before the holiday but i like to get ahead with short term for sept. there are some staff who can walk out in july and back in in sept but i'm not one of them. you need to feel prepared, just don;t work all the holiday

7. I've done a bit since we broke up 2 weeks ago when I have felt like. I have a 'to do' list which I am going through. If I didn't have young children I would be doing more but I cannot and I do enjoy my time with them but to be honest I sometimes do some work to have a break!
    That said, I will be away for the last two weeks of the holiday in which no work will be done and I will just relax.

8. urm...no. I return on 6th Sept and have no plans to do anything before 5th Sept. Put it all in a cupboard and forget about it. It will still be there later in the hols but you will be tired and bored of it all before you go back at this rate!

You need some plans of things to do!

9. I really like planning and finding new things too. Normally the last week of term I go mad planning all things like spellings, phonics etc that can be done ready and then plan English and Maths during PPA and some topic but now with the 6 week holiday I like having the freedom to do it when I want. I am going to get all my phonics, spelling and support stuff planned for the term. Then provisionally map out topic until xmas. I did my classroom on the last day of term when the kids went home, 3 displays up, books labelled and put away, trays and pegs labelled so that's all done so I won't be in school as such but will work when I want to, if I want to. I get bored otherwise.

10. I've moved classrooms and year groups, so I've spent the last 3 days just moving and sorting out my new classroom and buying new resources for it. That doesn't include displays, they'll be done on the insets at the beginning of September. The classroom's done now though, so I'm spending the next two days just getting as much planning as I can done. Then I'm giving myself 3 or 4 weeks complete holiday, before sitting down to uni work for a week or so. I will enjoy my hols much more if I've got my planning and stuff done, and have got 3 trips away planned, so dragging myself into school this week to get it all done!

11. i must be the only person in the world who prefers a complete break from work at the beginning of the hol, and then works in the last week or so of the hol- to get my brain back into gear and get ready for work. If I do too much at the beignning of the hol it's a bit rubbish really as I'm knackered, and then I've forgotten it all by the end of August. We have two days at the end of term and two days before the start of the autumn term to go into school- the rest of the time it's closed, so we all usually go in and lots of things are done then. I'm on maternity leave as of Friday though so it doesn't apply to me this year! :)

12. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I shall break a long-standing rule of mine and go in during the holidays, but that's only because I've moved classroom and we haven't got INSET on the first day back. I shall spend approximately ONE MORNING unpacking boxes, backing boards and putting a few labels up. I never understand people who claim to need up to TWO WEEKS to get their classrooms sorted and strongly suspect that they are either lying or insane, as I've never met anyone who actually does this.
    Planning? I did it all in the last PPA session of the year It took me about two hours. What the hell are you doing that takes so long?

13. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

I do keep thinking about school, but have yet to actually do anything! Mainly cause I cannot be bothered! Wish I could forget totally though!

14. I try to "work to live not live to work" so I don't do anything for work in the hols until a couple of days before we go back. However, my brain does find it hard to switch off so I do jot things down that need to be done on post its that I stick on my planner so when those last few days come I know exactly what needs to be done and they are productive without having spent my whole summer working a bit here and there - I know it works for some people but I feel like its not a complete break when you work a bit every week or worse every day.

15. tiffster

tiffster New commenter

I go in for a few mornings during the first week of the holiday and about the same during the last. First week - finish packing up classroom so that it can be properly cleaned, sort out boxes and cupboards, ensure all resources have been sorted/new ones ordered for next year (the office staff are usually in this week as well), that any trips/visits have been booked for the first part of September, and yes, that planning is sorted out for next year. Last week - once the cleaners have done their "deep clean" - set up classroom, display boards, labels, meetings with staff teams, etc. I should think it adds up to a few working days....

....but I have a colleague who does pretty much the same as me and she certainly calls it a fortnight. Perhaps it's just the way we look at it. I know I do need to do it - one year I didn't (was away all summer) and I felt unprepared for the following year. September is manic enough without being a "catchup" month. Wouldn't do that again.

16. One morning to do all those things? Are you like that speedy kid out of the incredibles?
    At my very quickest, it'd take me a morning to move all the stuff in, a morning to put it all away properly and in an organised manner, a morning to back my boards, and a morning to label. Not to mention the time spent generally tidying up from the previous teacher. Im not sure how you'd do all of it in one morning unless you have really low standards and just shove everything any old place.

17. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Low standards?? Quite an assertion to make. Thanks anyway, but you're quite wrong. Why on Earth wouldn't this be possible in a morning? I really shouldn't rise to your bait, but let's break this down - starting at 8 and finishing at 12 gives 4 hours. Everything was moved and all previous teacher's resources/displays removed on the last afternoon of term, and it's been fully cleaned. I'm moving classsroom but not year group so everything in there is mine or is effectively the property of my current year group.

- Unpacking boxes and putting items on shelves, tidying book corner - 1 hour maximum. I had a massive turf out when I packed up, throwing away old/tatty/outdated resources. Lots of my teaching resources are stored electronically now as well, something I'd hazard is quite common these days

- Backing boards and putting labels and a few banners up (already made up electronically, printed off and trimmed/stuck together by my TA during the last afternoon of term) - 2 hours maximum. How long can this possibly take?

- An hour to gather stationery and sort tables and groupings. Pencil pots and rulers have already been washed. I've already printed chlldren's book labels which they can attach to the front of their books on the first day of term.

There. Easy. I suspect I'll have time for a cup of coffee as well.

How would you possibly spend 2 whole days doing that? Easier just to get in and crack on with it, no?

Low standards indeed. I'd happily invite you in to have a look, but I suspect you'll be too busy in your own classroom.

18. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Apologies for lack of formatting/paragraphing on that last post. Not sure what happened.

19. We must be pretty amazing Nick, as we are achieving the impossible!

20. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Clearly!