1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I’ve broken my foot... :(

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by potterish17, Sep 18, 2019.

1. potterish17

potterish17 New commenter

So I had a stupid accident at the weekend and I’ve broken my 3rd metatarsal, am in a cast and on crutches. I missed the first day for my last batch of Reception children & haven’t been in this week. I’ve now got a fracture clinic appointment on Sunday with the possibility of needing a pin. What are my chances of returning to work with crutches? I can see how it might work in secondary with adjustments but I just can’t see it working in early years - I am moving all the time, on my feet, on my knees, crawling, crouching... Anybody had any experience of this? Doesn’t help that I’m EYFS lead & trialling the new Baseline

2. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

You must follow medical advice. Personally I wouldn't go anywhere near a reception class with crutches, especially after pinning. A bike here, a child running there, and you could make things much worse. It's rubbish timing, yes, but your health is way more important than the pesky baseline. Your school will cope, your children will presumably have the stability of a TA?
    You might be able to arrange a phased return once you are up to it.

How are you feeling with it?

3. pocketlocket

pocketlocket New commenter

Hello I hope I'm not too late with my advice because I'm still being moderated.

If you are/ are not back in school? you must have a risk assessment. Previous experience has shown methat a colleague of mine was a health and safety hazard when the fire alarm went off. Please consider this and be mindful that you should be the last person out of the classroom due to you being a hindrance (NOT YOUR FAULT)
    I'd be working from home or having a TA to lead the class out if I were you.
    BTW: Look after yourself and I'm wishing you a speedy recovery to get mobile soon.

4. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

You might find that they CAN’T have you in, much as both you and they would like to pretend things are fine. I had to have a few pins some years back, after a similarly stupid accident, and my school deemed it too much of a risk to me to be in due to infection (as the pins stuck out) or further damage. I think talk of insurance was involved.

I popped in once or twice ‘as a visitor’ to touch base and reassure my class I was doing okay, but the rest of the time I sat at home planning and sending stuff in to help my colleagues. To be honest, the discomfort and painkillers I needed would have made it difficult to be at work for any length of time, not to mention the difficulty of travelling there and back.

At the time it was really hard to cope with the terrible guilt of being off work, but looking back now it was really very few weeks, and most definitely the right thing to do. Rest, get well, forget the guilt. If you must, do some planning. But that’s it!

5. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Senior commenter

It honestly isn't your problem if you can't go in. Just take medical advice about how long you will need to recover. I've broken many bones. A leg is more than 2 months off, but a small foot bone could be as little as 10 days. Don't rush it though. Just do what you are told

6. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Sorry to hear about your accident - hope you're not in too much discomfort.
    You must follow medical advice, which I think will be not to be anywhere near a reception class, at least for the time being. If you do need surgery, then that time will be longer. I'm sure your HT will be irritated, but you can't worry about that. That's why schools have insurance!
    I know a broken bone is not like 'being ill', (although you do need to consider pain and discomfort) so I would be thinking along the lines of Grandsire's good advice. If you do need a few weeks off, then you can keep in touch and support planning. Look after yourself and best wishes for a speedy recovery.

jlishman2158 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  7. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

It is entirely possible that, following a risk assessment, the school will not have you back until you are off the crutches. The school may ask for you to do some work at home if it is possible (my colleague with a broken ankle is still on morphine so can't do anything, others in the past have been able to mark exams).

jlishman2158 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  8. potterish17

potterish17 New commenter

Thank you all for your replies. I have now been signed off for 2 weeks pending a CT scan & consultant appt - surgery is looking likely. I have planned from home but think I will be too busy with hospital this week & I already am unsure of what the children can/ can’t do. I think I will have to take it one stage at a time & go from there.

9. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Sounds like a plan - all you can do is keep the school up to date about your treatment/prognosis.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery...but don't go against medical advice!

jlishman2158 and SundaeTrifle like this.
  10. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

It's great that you want to be involved, and I see no harm, in this, although I do see harm in a school pressurising people who are off sick to work. But you need to remember that it is the school's responsibility to cover for you, so don't worry about what is happening at school. There may come a time when you can go in and see what is going on, before you can take over by yourself. But just listen to medical advice and make sure your school is aware of how you are so that they can do a sensible risk assessment.

It is in the best interests of you, the school and your class that you get fit as quickly as possible, so that is the number one priority. I hope it is soon.

11. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

You're unsure of what the littlies can and can't do. This is of no relevance whatsoever!

Do as you're told by the doctor and either rest the foot or wriggle it!

You're off work.

12. frustum

frustum Star commenter

You rest at home, and leave planning to the supply. Say to the school "obviously with no virtually knowledge of the children, it's impractical for me to provide appropriate planning; this week I would normally be expecting to <a couple of lines at most>".

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  13. dodie102

dodie102 Occasional commenter

I imagine that they will sign you off for longer if you have the operation. I broke my ankle and had subsequent surgery. In total I was off for 7 school weeks. It wasn't easy for either me or my department but there was no way I could go back. Drive to work, stairs, moving about, medication, school liability etc.

Talk to whoever is responsible for personnel matters at your school. They are often good intermediaries as I felt so guilty for putting extra work on to my already harried colleagues. Ultimately more time off immediately may actually lead to a swifter recovery and better long term health.

I did set some work for exam classes etc and did marking for a bit but after a while it became too difficult as things had moved on. I set myself a time in the day to look at work emails and get involved but wasn't constantly checking. It is important to state that that was my choice and should certainly not be expected of you. A little involvement in work helped keep me occupied during a very dark time. I honestly thought I would never walk easily again...

Look after yourself and believe it or not the school will survive without you.

Piranha likes this.