1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've broken my ankle! What now?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Lilybett, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Slipped and fell and now have got a huge cast and crutches. Not doing very well on them, can barely get from room-to-room in the house.
    So obviously I'm not fit to go back and teach my Y3s next week. Right? I asked the A&E doctor about work and he said he doesn't know what teachers do so he couldn't say!!???!!! Frankly, he looked young enough to be in my class so I left it. My classroom is also up a mini flight of stairs, eek. I also don't have any classroom support and spend a lot of time up and down those stairs photocopying stuff, getting resources, etc. Even tiny things like taking my laptop to and from school are going to be impossible. Surely nobody will expect me to go back to work next week?
    The big problem is that my HT hasn't bothered to disguise that she hates me since she found out there's a caution on my CRB and I know this isn't my fault, but I can't help but feel like it'll be a reason to roll her eyes about me. I also had a day off before Xmas because I damaged my eardrum, gah. Please could anybody tell me the protocol? Is it acceptable to drop her a text explaining what has happened? Then at the fracture clinic on Friday, should I ask the doctor to sign me off work for however long (s)he thinks?
    Heheh although I ALREADY hate my cast and crutches, I can't help but reflect on the fact that I did keep thinking: 'I wish I didn't have to back to work!'
    Thanks very much xx

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oh my goodness, you poor thing, sounds horrible.

Only you can decide that. If you feel fine and are able to get about then there is no reason not to work. Probably have to work with your H&S person to sort out a risk assessment, but other than that it is just up to you.

I wouldn't text myself...but I'm old and decrepit. You could email (or text!) and say you have broken your ankle and so are not sure about work next week. Say you have an appointment at the fracture clinic on Friday and will let her know more then. Obviously apologise for the massive inconvenience, even if you aren't actually sorry.

3. queenlit

queenlit New commenter

The doctor at the fracture clinic will sign your certificate for 6 weeks. You need to rest the foot and keep it up each day to prevent it swelling. You MUst rest it to allow it to heal.

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Oh lilybett, how horrid for you!
    Is your contract a fixed-term one? Because if not and your Head's looking for an excuse . . .
    I don't see how you could get to a classroom up even a mini flight of stairs and potentially in an emergency your cast might ne considered a H & S issue- my friend's arm cast was when she broke her arm.
    Definitely warn your Head of the difficulty- don't want them chasing you for not giving them enough time to find a temporary replacement!
    Take care of yourself.

5. It's a temporary post until the end of the year that I'd have to reapply for. There's no way I'd get it - the HT said so in assembly. Which was really nice! Now just worried about references for jobhunting and so want to be sure to do everything by the book. I'll call her tomorrow [​IMG]
    Thanks v much for the advice (and sympathy!). Must say, did have smthg more like a Euromillions win in mind when wishing not to go back to school! Be careful what you ask for!! [​IMG] xx

6. Wait a minute, I just understood this.... The job's until the end of the academic year 2012. She can't get rid of me before this unless I do something terrible, right? Breaking an ankle can't possibly qualify?! X

7. Just checking; are you an nqt? If you are, any sustained absence will mean that your nqt induction period will be extended until you have taught for the minimum number of required days. Whether or not you're an nqt, You must rest completely from now until going back. Bear in mind you have approx a week to go so you might be fine walking on it, so with help from colleagues, could return to work. Hope you feel better.

8. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

At the very least, I think it would be good to offer detailed planning for the first couple of weeks.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

No she can't fire you for breaking an ankle. She also can't use it as an excuse for not giving you a permanent post in Sept. Worry not.

Rest today, ring or email or text your HT to warn her, go to the clinic tomorrow and then wait and see.

We have had staff in school on broken legs and ankles before, so you won't HAVE to have 6 weeks off. You can also miss up to 30 days without it affecting your NQT induction. So don't panic yet.

10. I'd try and phone rather than text or email - my headteacher doesn't reply to texts or emails during holiday time, so although I do email things occasionally for the next term, I know that they won't be opened until we are all back at school.
    If there is any chance of the headteacher being awkward about this, don't fuel their fire!

11. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Good luck. I am sure you will need some time off - don't know how much. You need to find out how you should be looking after it at the moment, it doesn't sound like the hospital doctor knew much . Your job requires good feet and ankles so take the time to make sure it has been well set, is healing well, you know what physio to do when that is possible etc etc.
    Good luck! Hopefully they will be more informative at the fracture clinic and will scan again to be sure all is good. Stress how important your mobility and agility etc etc is for your job.

12. Hi,
    I fell and broke my ankle about 12 years ago and was signed off from work for 5 months. I would take advice from your union on this as they will have be able to advise you (if you arent in one i would recommmend joining one from a legal protection perspective - they will fight your cause if there is any unreasonable actions on the part of the Head). As I recall I was not in a fit state to get myself to work and even if I did get a taxi, lift etc I would have not been able to fulfil my duties as a teacher. I also seem to remember the school would not be insured if I sustained a further injury due to falling or being knocked by a pupil on school premises.
    I seem to remmeber I was on full pay for so long, then Statutary Sick Pay with the council making up the difference. Guess it depends on the contract. Some schools have inurance that covers a teacher bring off in this instance but you will need the certificate from the dcotors to verify the dates you will be off until.
    Hope the ankle repairs ok.x