1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've been recommended to do some tutoring

Discussion in 'English' started by sparklyeyes, Dec 11, 2011.

1. sparklyeyes

sparklyeyes New commenter

and I'm very flattered to have been asked but it's the first time I've ever done it so am a bit nervous!

I'm going to meet the student in a few days time; his dad told me he is a predicted c grade and I said I would go and assess him, but to be honest, don't know how to go about it......ideas anyone? Thanks in advance

2. sparklyeyes

sparklyeyes New commenter

and I'm very flattered to have been asked but it's the first time I've ever done it so am a bit nervous!

I'm going to meet the student in a few days time; his dad told me he is a predicted c grade and I said I would go and assess him, but to be honest, don't know how to go about it......ideas anyone? Thanks in advance

3. This is exactly what happened to me!! I started about a month ago. Don't be nervous, it will be fine.
    I would recommend you let them lead it - have a flick through exercise books and find out exactly what it is he wants help with, how often and how long for. Just have a chat about what his strengths and weaknesses are.

4. I agree with jj2407. You could also start off by teaching/revising writing skills for the exam and see what he produces in that time-this will give you ideas about where he needs to improve/progress. Exam skills for the reading paper are always good. Find out which exam board he's with too.

5. I always start each session by asking what the had covered in class that week ( or in first meeting what they had done) and what help they are looking for.
    I always ask the student what they want to cover. At first you may get the 'I dont know' response but by talking you'll find out what they need from you.

Good luck - dont worry about the nerves they disappear as soon as you start and you put your teacher hat on - I'm like that every week before the session begins and then the time just seems to fly by!

Enjoy