1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've been offered 2 Paternity Covers

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by supplybychoice, Sep 16, 2011.

1. supplybychoice

supplybychoice New commenter

I have a bit of a dilemma. I've been offered 2 paternity covers which are 2 weeks cover each from 2 different agencies. I have accepted both and not mentioned the other one to the agency.

The main problem is obviously they can't give me a date when they will start. The first baby was due on 10th September and the second on the 25th. So theoretically the 2 covers may not overlap but I think they will.

I was thinking of starting the first one (in a tougher school) and work until the second one starts (really nice school, already been in to meet teacher I will be covering) then give an excuse so I can start the second one.

But there is a chance the one in the nicer school could start first, so I could tell the first agency that I've been offered a job I couldn't really refuse.

I don't really like messing agencies around, but they've messed me about enough in the past.

What would other supply teachers do?

2. supplybychoice

I have a bit of a dilemma. I've been offered 2 paternity covers which are 2 weeks cover each from 2 different agencies. I have accepted both and not mentioned the other one to the agency.

The main problem is obviously they can't give me a date when they will start. The first baby was due on 10th September and the second on the 25th. So theoretically the 2 covers may not overlap but I think they will.

I was thinking of starting the first one (in a tougher school) and work until the second one starts (really nice school, already been in to meet teacher I will be covering) then give an excuse so I can start the second one.

But there is a chance the one in the nicer school could start first, so I could tell the first agency that I've been offered a job I couldn't really refuse.

I don't really like messing agencies around, but they've messed me about enough in the past.

What would other supply teachers do?

3. teacha

teacha Occasional commenter

Like you say, agencies have messed you around in the past. Put yourself first, do what's right for you, and don't worry about what the agencies think. Try the tough school first, if the nice school comes up, take that one, and just tell the first agency that you didn't like it there. Don't feel guilty about it. I wouldn't!

4. Good to hear from you again, Supplybychoice (been a while?) Each to their own heart on this-personally once I've started one I'd stay with it. Maybe you could delay the start of the second by a part week if it came to that?

Just curious-About how many supply schools have you worked in through your career? It must be a lot.

5. supplybychoice

Im still waiting to hear from either of them. Both babies are past their due dates.

6. There's hope that the paternity cover is flexible, they may not want it yet, and maybe they might be flexible enough to take it around your available dates to avoid overlapping.