1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

I've been burgled

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sel_chick, Jan 1, 2012.

1. No advice I'm afraid, just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear this, and that I hope your 2012 improves from here on.

2. Thanks SelChick. Its only been 2 hours since we got in, through tears, I keep telling myself that it could've been worse. Forensic team not out here until tomorrow but better go and put all the soft furnishings back and all my clothes better go somewhere... so sad :(

3. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

Just wanted to say sorry - what a horrible thing to happen.

4. Have the police told you that it's ok to do that? Even if they have, I'd take photos of where everything was, just in case. I understand that you just want to get back to normal, but you don't want to start the 'clean up' process, only to find you've stopped the forensics doing their job.
    You have my deepest sympathies. My dad has been burgled twice. The first time they got in through an open window on the first floor, threw some stuff around, but took nothing. The second time, the smashed the back door and only took my grandfathers watch. My dad's convinced that the first time they were casing the place for easy to nick valuables. His house is now like fort knox!
    It's such a horrible feeling. I really do hope that the thieves are caught and that your insurance pay out for the things that have been taken.

5. Police said that they can't take prints off anything soft so we can put stuff back - I've had my camera stolen but took some pics on my camera phone just in case. Thank you for your kind words. Like I said there could be worse things.

6. andromache

andromache New commenter

((((flimflam)))) what a horrible thing to happen. do you have to stay in the house tonight or could you secure it and go to friends/family/travelodge?

7. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I'm so sorry about this, what an awful thing to have happen. I hope that anything taken was covered by insurance and nothing too sentimental was taken or broken/destroyed.
    I was burgled a few years ago. To this day I have no idea how they managed to get in and out without me knowing; I was in the flat at the time and had literally just wandered into my bedroom to put something away, the phone rang, I sat on my bed and chatted for a few minutes, then hung up and went back through to the kitchen where I discovered a muddy footprint on the countertop an the car keys gone. I live on the first floor and the kitchen window is pretty small with a blind over it; I don't think I could have got through without someone seeing me. Luckily, my boyfriend's company car, which was what they stole, was found just a couple of hours later and the drivers arrested.

8. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Dreadfully sorry to hear this flimflam. I've been there 3 times in relatively rapid succession. It's awful to have your home violated and you'll find the police are precious little help. Apart from emphasising with you the only thing I can do is give you advice for the future.
    The first thing is to take as much stock of what you've lost as possible. Our insurance company was very kind in replacing our goods without question but they drew a line under the matter after our claim had been made.
    Obvious things like the TV and stereo were simple to identify, but they also took the collection of CDs and my wife's jewellery. I was up to my neck at work when this happened so she dealt with the claim which involved a detailed list of every item. I don't know if she remembered every item of jewellery or not but she couldn't remember many of the CDs other than the ones that were her favourites. The insurance company were pressurising her to close the claim and I lost many treasured CDs.
    Later when we went to take a holiday, we discovered our passports had been taken as well.
    We were burgled again a fornight later because the thieves knew the stuff they'd taken would have been replaced by the latest, easier to dispose of stuff.
    Since I got a dog with a threatening bark we haven't been burgled. It must be getting on for over 20 years now. There have, however been 2 occasions we've been locked out of our home and had to call a locksmith. You wouldn't believe how quickly they were able to open the front door, and it didn't involve fiddling around with skeleton keys like they do in the films. One poked a device through the letterbox to turn the latch, the other slid some plastic sheet between the door jamb to open the catch. Both would have been foiled had there been a deadlock. I'm sure the locksmiths would have gained entry in this circumstance but this would have involved doing some proper locksmith stuff.
    So to sumarise, I'm sorry to hear about your burgulary. Make sure you claim for everything you've lost and don't be railroaded by the claims clerk. Make your home more difficult to enter as soon as you can. There'll always an easier place for them to burgle if you'e's is tough to get into or they don't want a sizeable dog going berserk at their presence.

9. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Just wanted to say how sorry I am to hear what's happened.

10. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Lead commenter

That's awful You have my sympathy. When we had a 'walk in' burglary (my husband was upstairs and the door was unlocked) the police were really nice and said that no way was it our fault and that you should be able to leave your door unlocked and so on, which made me feel a lot better. It's never your fault if you're burgled.
    I believe there are a lot of the type of burglaries where they open the door through the letter box so I would have thought you'd be okay with the insurance company.

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

not sure but some of the burgulars are usinf small kids..bit like bill sykes in oliver.....and these they use to get through windows to open up.
    The theif is basically an oppertunist...........so nothing is ever safe.
    I am sorry that you have had this happen to you.....i so hope you manage to get over it.

12. sympathies also - hope all goes well with insurers xx

13. Thank you all for your messages. Just received the call for our crime reference number and I called earlier to the insurance company just to get the ball rolling who said that someone would get back to me on Tuesday. Its all quite confusing. We're going through bits of stuff and realising what has gone including a bloody big bag of choc bars and prizes for the kids at school. Whats more is just going through how they got in. We just don't know. Full of cold, tired and emotional. Again, thank you all for your kind words and shared stories :)

14. lurk_much

lurk_much Occasional commenter

It is a safe bet that a burglar's life is pretty shoddy, ha, serves them right.
    I would probably get the lock changed for peace of mind.
    If you have one of these in the door they are cheap and easy to replace <&pound;20 + two screwdrivers + twenty minutes faffing around. Take the old one with you to a builders merchant to get the right size.
    [​IMG]

15. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Aww big hugs, not the best start to your new year. Hope the insurance goes as easily as it can for you. How anyone thinks they have a right to anyone other stuff really infuriates me. xx

16. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

How awful! I'd hate anything like that to happen.
    Belle Towers is like Fort Knox as Mr Belle is so fussy about security, and we have 3 dogs. I shall not moan at him triple locking all the doors ever again!
    Hope it gets sorted soon for you. I reckon ther worst thing must be knowing some stranger has rifled through your personal possessions.
    Take care
    xxx

17. Thanks all once again. The forensic lady came this morning and fingerprinted everywhere. She went through the whole door security thing and explained just how they would get in. We have spent the rest of the day clearing up. Still so much to do. It has made me reflect a lot on what is important in my life and the attachment one has to certain material objects. I am so glad that they took everything of worth except my jewellery box. They missed it! Ha! But they did take all my booze so feel really annoyed that I'd stocked up before Christmas and made use of all those deals :( It has been hard to realise what else they have taken as we go through the clearing up but life goes on. Guess I'll see how I feel tomorrow after speaking proper to the insurance company. Thanks once again for all your advice, stories and thoughts. x

18. njs1999

njs1999 New commenter

It's a horrible feeling and I hope these *** are hit by a very heavy bus and have their heads impaled on very sharp spikes. [​IMG]
    Make sure you take some time to reflect and give the insurance company details of EVERYTHING that has been stolen, including food and drinks. They're most likely to be scummy drug users/dealers, which is why they take the stuff to eat and drink. You've bought these items so make sure you are reimbursed for them, no matter how silly you think this may sound. You pay your insurance company for a reason.
    Try not to take it personally, as burglars are after your property and not there to hurt you (most of the time). Try to put in as many deterrents as possible. I'm guessing that as it's a flat, you can't get an alarm, but properties are apparently 95% less likely to be targeted if they have alarms.

19. polly.glot

polly.glot New commenter

Echoing all the sympathetic hugs - it's a horrible experience.
    Kia kaha
    xx

20. Once again, thank you all. Spoke to the police again today to add other things that have gone and spoke to the insurance company who are getting a loss adjuster to speak to me in the next 2 days. Does anybody have experience of a loss adjuster? What exactly do they do? I mean, I know that they work on behalf of the insurance company to try to reduce the losses but any other info about what to expect? Things are looking and feeling much better today - the flat is almost back to normality (even if the toaster smells of coffee when we use it as they filled it with ground coffee!) and my eyes are less puffy so all in all I hope that everything here on in runs smoother. My other half has gone to get another lock for our door for his own peace of mind and back to work tomorrow. Thank you all for your support x