1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

IV Process internal sampling How Many??

Discussion in 'Business studies' started by lme100, Feb 16, 2011.

1. <font size="2">I have questions regarding the internal sampling process for our college and have found our standards verifier and regional advisor pretty unhelpful, giving conflicting information, also different depts across the college seem to be doing different things.</font> <font size="2"> We are delivering the national subsidiary diploma to 20 learners, therefore how many pieces or work should we be internally sampling. Is there a general rule of thumb?</font>
    <font size="2"> At the moment I am sampling 4 assignments per unit from 4 different learners covering all grading criteria. So altogether this year we will be IVing 24 pieces.</font><font size="2"> Is this sufficient??</font><font size="2">Thanks for your help</font>

2. <font size="2">I have questions regarding the internal sampling process for our college and have found our standards verifier and regional advisor pretty unhelpful, giving conflicting information, also different depts across the college seem to be doing different things.</font> <font size="2"> We are delivering the national subsidiary diploma to 20 learners, therefore how many pieces or work should we be internally sampling. Is there a general rule of thumb?</font>
    <font size="2"> At the moment I am sampling 4 assignments per unit from 4 different learners covering all grading criteria. So altogether this year we will be IVing 24 pieces.</font><font size="2"> Is this sufficient??</font><font size="2">Thanks for your help</font>

3. Can give you information on what I do - based on conversation from when we had our first centre risk assessment a few years ago. We sample a third of the pupils work - the sample is taken from the class list - for example for the first unit we would sample first learners work, fourth learners work, seventh and so on. For the second unit we would then do learners 2, 5 and 8 etc. This system was adopted as it meant that every learner had at least one piece of work sampled for the first certificate and for the National Award at least 2 units sampled.

At present intend to continue with this process even though more units are now having to be covered for First level as it is established practice.

As the Quality Nominee this is what I have put in our Quality Handbook and I expect all departments to follow this guidance. With respect to what is expected by Edexcel - also not sure as they aren't overly explicit. Put this system in place following conversations with different quality control people from Edexcel. Using our system I would be increasing the sample slightly so that for 20 learners 6/7 learners would be sampled. (Probably not what you want to hear!)

4. Page 5 on here http://www.edexcel.com/quals/BTEC/Documents/Centre-Guide-t-IV.pdf

We do 4 per unit and we have 42 students on Level 3 (year 1) and 32 students on Level 2. I saw it written down somewhere but cannot find it now! I know I checked and this was sufficient. We had our quality inspection this week and passed with no actions so imagine this is fine.