1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ITT - What a waste of a year!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by PersianCatLady, Jun 18, 2019.

1. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

I can't believe how stupid some people are. They embark on comprehensive and potentially expensive training knowing full well they can't move, without properly checking the job market in their local area first, and then moan like f### because there are no jobs 100m down the road waiting for them when they are ready to start. You really can understand why some people are just unemployable. When I ran departments and had to employ a teacher, a modicum of common sense was top of the 'skills and attributes' list.

dalersmith likes this.
  2. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

The guy I work with doesn't drive, his bus journey takes almost one and three quarters of an hour, and involves multiple bus changes. He is still able to arrive on time almost every day(bus problems not withstanding). Another colleague I have worked with drives 2 hours to work, I used to work in Doncaster and live in Leeds (the A1 can be a nightmare). You go as far as you can do if you cannot get a job on your doorstep, my current commute is 45 minutes to get to work, considerably longer time the journey home during rush hour.

binaryhex likes this.
  3. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

When many of us older ones went to Big School, it was still hard to get in; hard to get the A Level grades, hard to get on a good course at a decent university and then hard to get at least a Desmond. Over the last 15 years, the quality of students has dropped considerably and it sounds like practically everyone gets a Desmond just for showing up (with or without a hangover), and a 2.1 if you can write a sentence without more than six errors. It seems to be the case that a lot of early twenty somethings entering the world of work for the first time these days are finding out that the 'entitled' existence they thought was everywhere is in fact nowhere to be found. I really do think these people need to step back a bit, try out the different McJobs about for three or four years to give themselves time to grow up, then try again with an updated CV about how they know how to work hard, know how to work in a team etc etc etc.

ParakeetGreen likes this.
  4. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

Initial Teacher Training

5. diddydave

diddydave Occasional commenter

It's not always possible to get a job straight away, particularly if you are limited in range.

I drove taxis for about 15 months before looking for my first job, it took another 3 months to find one and it was 130 miles from where I lived. However, I've never been out of work since, so persevere. (though it was a shock to realise I was taking a pay cut initially!)

If 99% of those on the course with you have got jobs that seems a good indicator that there will be one out there for you.

6. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

There are many jobs still being advertised . Where are you and what are you looking for?

7. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

"If 99% of those on the course with you have got jobs that seems a good indicator that there will be one out there for you."

Possibly. Experienced Heads and HoDs know that employing a strange, poor or very weak teacher lacking in common sense just because you are absolutely desperate, actually causes more problems and wastes more of everyone's precious time than dealing with being a teacher down for a year.

8. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

but this person has just passed their course, so unlikely to be particularly "strange, poor or weak"; in fact less likely to be so than any of the rest of us who haven't been assessed or trained so vigorously for many years!

9. NeitherMouseNorSock

NeitherMouseNorSock New commenter

Oh dear, are you familiar with the current level of teacher trainee? You only have to turn up to pass.

10. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

not necessarily true, no, plenty fail around here.

Although in a previous school we did have a few pass who hadn't, in fact, turned up.......

but this poster does seem to have been monitored and assessed, and has passed

Stiltskin likes this.
  11. NeitherMouseNorSock

NeitherMouseNorSock New commenter

...and turns up on a forum, complains about not being able to get a job and then doesn't check back for a week.

I agree with the others, most likely a troll.

border_walker likes this.
  12. liamfh

liamfh New commenter

I don't get this?? If she/he is the only person without a job for September then there are lots of people who have got jobs after the course. I didn't have a job to start when I did my ITT but that was because I didn't apply for many jobs. I still got plenty of work in September and a permanent job by the Easter.

dalersmith likes this.
  13. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

The op hasn’t answered the question I asked four days ago.

The op was on the site last night.

I think it safe to say that this thread is now dead and anymore posting on it is just us debating a situation which may or may not exist as the op will not give us any useful information in order that we can help them

dalersmith likes this.
  14. dalersmith

Cannot help when the problem domain is not specified correctly.

15. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Or is 'shocked' their £28,000 non-returnable bursary has run out without their ITT provider handing over a job on a platter at the nearest outstanding school to where they live. We've had ITTs turn up who think that they can complete their NQT year whilst working as a supply at different schools - institutions don't seem to be doing anything to disabuse the students of the stupid ideas they have.

16. dalersmith

There is no silver lining or guarantee after training, in the last ten years along with IT and CS I have ended up teaching Construction, Geography, currently an hour of PE a week, and my best ever 2 hours of Hair and Beauty(6 foot 1, bald headed ex Police Dog Handler). There is no perfect job as such, although some might disagree, I have enjoyed all of the schools I have worked in, but none have ever been perfect. I have made a conscious decision not to drive more than an hour to work, but that is only because I like to go to the gym at 5 in the morning, if it were a longer journey I would have to go earlier, and at that rate I would need to, quoting a great sketch, "get up half an hour before I went to bed".

17. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

Hi,

Sorry about the lack of response from me over the last few days but I spent the weekend completing applications for three jobs all of which had different application forms and required vastly different supporting statements.

I will admit that I was in a very miserable mood when I wrote my initial post in this thread and perhaps with hindsight I should have been less pessimistic.

I totally deserve all of your comments but just to dispel some of the speculation:

• I never expected to walk into a job 100m down the road. I have spent this year wasting between two and three hours driving to and from my placement school so I would be prepared to do the same and more for an NQT job.
    • I appreciate your comments about moving but unfortunately I cannot move as my son is still in education locally and my parents need me to be near to them due to their health issues.

• I live on the Hampshire / Dorset border and I am female (sorry if the PersianCatLady username was unclear on that matter)
    Thank you to you all for the wake up call

18. dalersmith

Try the recruitment agencies in Dorset and Hampshire i.e. Supply and Demand, Teaching Personnel, Monarch Education, TimePlan Education and CER Education. There may not be a permanent position to start but it will be a start.

19. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

20. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

dalersmith - My very first task tomorrow is going to be to contact all the agencies that you have listed in your post. Thank you.

Stiltskin - I have been checking those sites every couple of days but at least I know I am doing the right thing. Thank you.