1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ITT Mentoring

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Thomw1994, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Thomw1994

Thomw1994 New commenter

I’ve been assigned to be an ITT mentor, starting the first week in February. I’ve mentored before (informally) through being a host teacher and such, and done some coaching for other staff members on behaviour, routines, marking and planning.

However, I’m a little nervous about starting a full on mentoring role. Luckily, it’s the same course that I did as an ITT so know how it’s done. But would like some more advice on how I can be a good ITT mentor.

2. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

Tell them the real truths of this job, let them know what ACTUALLY matters, don't work them ludicrously hard, remember what YOU felt like as a trainee and be the mentor you would have liked to have had. So be kind at all times and always give them a smile, even when they're driving you mad and seemingly being thick to wind you up. Re-assure like crazy, all day every day, they're probably a lot younger than you and have spent a LOT of their own money so you have a moral duty to do right by them.

I've had about six of these and only one was a total and utter disaster. But they were so bad I never did mentoring again and wouldn't, EVER, unless I was paid a TLR for it. Be smart, because if this student is no good the spotlight will turn on YOU for your bad mentoring, when really the institution who put them on the course should be. Will they be? NAAAAH. It's YOUR fault, teacher! Yes, even if you've had five outstanding candidates before this one, you will be under scrutiny. And will you get paid for this nonsense? No. So just be careful.

As always in teaching, look out for yourself first until you know you're on steady ground.

3. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

I've mentored for about 7 years and all that BTBAM85 says is mostly true and yes the buck stops with you IF the mentee doesn't make it for some of the experience.. - I would challenge the fact that ITT in school trainees are mentored by the whole programme, and not just the teacher in school, so a shared responsibility is more just and fair. The training provider, the school and the lead as well as internal mentor would have to share the responsibility as they would if the mentee succeeds.
    Any school who decides to blame only the teacher is not worth working at.

4. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

I think if you can link with the school lead trainer who liaises with the training providers, get onto any courses that can help you facilitate the role and link also to CPDs at your school, then you should bring a mentee through really well. Too many schools use experience teachers to mentor new ones without making provisions for preparing them to do the job that awaits, alongside a full teaching timetable.