1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

ITT Coordinator

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by natalieaa, Jun 21, 2019.

1. natalieaa

natalieaa New commenter

Hi all,
    I’m interested in applying for the role of ITT and NQT coordinator at my school. Has anyone got any tips for what to put in an application letter or what questions they may ask at interview?
    TIA

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I would think of the qualities / skills you think you would need to be effective in this role and then back up with examples that demonstrate that you have them in abundance. Goes without saying that just writing a list of things you have done ( without impact criteria ) is a no go. At interview am sure you would be tackling issues around how to deal with underperformance, can’t v won’t mentality, time management ( yours and theirs ), quality of feedback, mentor v coach .... I think it is a great job though not without its challenges . Good Luck

agathamorse likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

WOW!
    I'm impressed there are enough people wanting to do this that it is being advertised as a post.
    I've done this role in four schools, spanning nearly 20 years, over 100 trainees and over 20 NQTs. But I have never, ever had to apply for it.
    It's a role I absolutely love and am very good at, but I cannot for the life of me imagine what I'd write that would fill a decent length application.

I'd write something about supporting the next generation of teachers, serving the profession and all that sort of thing. Working with other staff to support them with having a trainee in their class, especially those who might be reluctant at first.
    Then probably some nonsense about asking SLT for support with any issues that arise and keeping them informed, etc.

Best of luck, it's a fab role.

agathamorse and Pomza like this.
  4. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

From what I can tell it is a very busy role.

Not only are you expected to be there for the current trainees, you are also responsible for recruiting trainees for the following year

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I've never done this.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It is a partnership facing role. You will attend meetings with externals and also be responsible for developing teachers who will teach at other schools. The big line from Gibb is 'teachers who can teach at any school in England' (and stay in the profession) - so, a range of pedagogies, work life balance, understanding what it means to be a mentor (directive v non-directive, Clutterbuck's model etc.), cultivating mentors who can lead a team of teachers responsible for a trainee and NQTs. Good luck. It’s a great role and I work with lots of them. They are a fantastic bunch of people and really care for their teachers.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. PersianCatLady

PersianCatLady Occasional commenter

Perhaps it is just some co-ordinators then?