1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It's time to review KS2 S.A.T.s!

Discussion in 'Education news' started by tandemtinker, May 30, 2019.

1. tandemtinker

tandemtinker New commenter

With such financial restraints in today's education budgets, ( especially with regards to Special Education.) I'm convinced that huge savings could be made by changing the format of Y6 exams! When I started in primaries in the 60's. testing was just as rigorous as it is today, BUT at a fraction of the cost to produce and MARK!! For one week, usually in May, all Y6s were given the Richmond Test booklet.....these were kept in the head's room for the rest of the year and only came out in "test" week.....Year 6 teachers were re-distributed by the local authority to neighbouring schools to deliver and mark these tests! ( to stop any malpractice!!) This format needs updating and re-introducing into primaries and the millions of pounds saved could go to where it's most needed!!

schoolsout4summer and lardylegs like this.
  2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Surely as a year 6 teacher I would just purchase a copy of the "Richmond Test Booklet" and practice until May-100% guaranteed! ( or in "challenging" schools, the Head would probably buy it for me!)

3. eleanorms

eleanorms Occasional commenter

I did the Richmond tests at my middle school, a long time after the 1960s. I answered the same question about the eagle falling like a thunderbolt four years in a row. It's quite hard to see how doing this impacted my education in any way at all.

Sally006, CarrieV and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

I'm sure many kids still wouldn't get 100% even if they did practice all year.

5. frustum

frustum Star commenter

However in the 1960s, the tests were being used to measure the attainment of the children and not the year 6 teacher or the school leadership, so there was no pressure to massage the results of the whole cohort upwards. (Presumably there was some raising of eyebrows and sending in of LEA advisers if results were lower than expected, but I don't get the impression anyone was placing the sort of demands on teachers that happen nowadays.)

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

That's the crux of the problem, isn't it? It isn't the SATS tests per se, it is the use to which they are put.

cassandramark2 likes this.