1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

its that time of year again....battling to keep numbers at GCSE and A level...let the battle commence!

Discussion in 'Music' started by asdmumandteacher, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Here we go again - Subject Option Evenings...

This year I am going to take in evidence about the educational value of music and stats from Cambridge Trinity college which lists music as their main 'preferred' arts subject. I will fight for survival!!!!!

2. Here we go again - Subject Option Evenings...

This year I am going to take in evidence about the educational value of music and stats from Cambridge Trinity college which lists music as their main 'preferred' arts subject. I will fight for survival!!!!!

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

That's great news (not least since it's my old college). But do you have a reference for that?

4. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

What he said ^ [​IMG]

5. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Ditto. I sure could use some ammunition for my upcoming Subject Evening!

6. trelassick

trelassick New commenter

Why, Oh why do we have to? Every year. But our instructions from SLT are always to present the facts concerning the subject and not twist arms.

7. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

I think plenty of teachers (all option subjects) "present the facts" in the best possible light.

8. bessiesmith

bessiesmith New commenter

http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
    Music is considered an 'A list' subject, whereas Art & Design, Drama Media Studies, DT, Dance and Photography are all 'B or C list'

9. Yes - DevonatHeart thats exactly what I meant. As much as I hate having to fight for our subject against the other arts subjects it is indeed what it comes down to. At least this list puts music ahead of the other arts (that does sound horrible I am aware).

10. I will have no group from the current round of options choices as I did not reach the magic number required.

11. Sorry to hear that [​IMG]. Hopefully confidence in music (as a subject) will pick up a bit now that the Henley review is out.
    I also have to jump through hoops to get my numbers high enough. I find myself doing more and more marketing these days - not something I'm contracted to do - just to ensure job security for my team and me.

12. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

My school has just told me they won't even be offering music at KS4 this year(either BTEC or GCSE!).
    Humph!
    [​IMG]

13. Do most of you find you're battling against the constant problem that many of the most promising students - usually those doing very nicely with private instrumental lessons - don't opt for music because they, or their parents, have decided that they can carry on studying music outside of school, while they would have to drop some other subject in its favour which they can't so easily get elsewhere?
    Do you find this is likely to lower your potential average grade?

14. Not necessarily that Gizzy - not in our case at the moment...although have had that before...

Just heard we have no AS level next year as not enough numbers - we have 5 I think and we need 8. Gutted. May teach it twilight if poss as have some dedicated students.

15. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Just got back from a subject choices information evening... with a great wad of handouts that noone wanted to take off my hands. I agree to some extent that students who take private/school instrument lessons feel that they can get their musical 'fix' outside the classroom. If they're stuck between two choices, this could well tip the scales.
    School also seems to be offering more and more 'new' and enticing subjects linked with 'fashionable' career choices. And I still get the parental, 'you need to choose subjects that will enable you to fulfil a career that will earn you lots of money'.
    Fingers crossed for Friday (subject choice deadline!)

16. The magic number of choices to be reached was 20. The current yr 10 and 11 classes both have 20 pupils but the changes to the options system this year meant that we weren't anywhere near that number. Twilight is simply not an option for me due to how the school day operates.