1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It's taken me 40 years of cooking to realise this

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Jul 17, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I wouldn't rate myself as a good cook. Frankly I don't have the time to perfect dishes. I'd rate myself as a cook who tries hard, always experimenting and learning. I'll admit I make plenty of mistakes, but these days, nothing really disastrous.
    It's been a common practice to ask my wife if everything is OK during her meal, which irritates her somewhat. I can't say why it irritates her, but after some time in the kitchen cooking for her, some feedback would be appreciated.
    And today, I didn't ask. I just watched what she ate, how she ate. What she left till last and what she tucked into with gusto. It was a roast so, probably easier than with a plate of pasta, but I reckon I learned more today about her preferences for the things I cook than I ever did asking her.
    Her stock kindness answer is always "It's very nice", but I never really know.

2. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

A cunning plan, MM, but potentially flawed...I can only speak of myself, but if I have certain things I prefer or like less on a plate, I'll eat my least favourite first and save the last few mouthfuls of my favourite items until last....taking the roast example - I'll always save a bit of meat, or some crackling, or a roast potato of a piece of Yorkshire pudding until last...obviously I can't speak for the eating habits of the good Mrs Modelmaker, but if you adopted that strategy with me, you'd end up with all the wrong answers...[​IMG]