1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It's so hot that...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by BertieBassett2, Jul 23, 2019.

1. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

...my chilled white wine is tasting distinctly tepid after 20 minutes in the glass.

1 person likes this.
  2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

How on earth do you make a glass of wine last 20 minutes???

:eek:

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

The way I do it is I set it down on the table next to my pint of vodka.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

If it all came out of the same bottle it is just one unit.

5. BertieBassett2

6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

A teacher taking 20 minutes to drink a glass of wine?

What's going on? ....

20 glasses of wine in a minute maybe...

bevdex, primarycat, sodalime and 3 others like this.
  7. BertieBassett2

My thread was more to highlight how hot it is - I didn't expect an inquisition about my drinking habits....

8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Nobody expects The Oenological Inquisition.

9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I get intrigued at the drama when the weather is hot.
    Looking at the BBC weather map I saw a patch of red on there for later in the week, so went to explore the meaning of "red weather". And found this on the BBC site-

"Extreme weather is expected. Red means you should take action now to keep yourself and others safe from the impact of the weather. Widespread damage, travel and power disruption and risk to life is likely(!!!!!!!!) You must avoid dangerous areas and follow the advice of the emergency services and local authorities."

Widespread damage, travel and power disruption and risk to life?! They're going to regret pulling out all the stops this way when we get our three hour Zombie Apocalypse Warning, surely?

sodalime likes this.
  10. vannie

vannie Star commenter

My dog keeps looking hopeful but there's no way he's getting a walk before it cools down.

needabreak and Jesmond12 like this.
  11. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

I had red. I really liked the temperature which was just short of too warm. I have kept checking to see I have not left the oven on! Yeuk, too hot.

emerald52 likes this.
  12. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

13. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

I just crack on and get on with it. I've been outside working all day and came home to mow two lawns and the strip of land down the back of the cottages. I've five large lawns to mow tomorrow and because the grass is so dry I just fly through it. I like it when it's very hot because there aren't as many people about but the customers do get under my feet with their constant worries that I'm ok.

Just **** off indoors and leave me alone in the heat and the dust to execute my plan and get home to pints of drink.

And the people on holiday who hardly ever drive their cars and can't even remember which side the filler cap is on when they go to the petrol station. I noticed it today when I was getting petrol for the mower and I wasn't alone. When I went to pay, the woman on the till had to tell two customers to put the nozzle back properly.

Roll on September when the mentally challenged go back to work.

14. Duke of York

https://newsthump.com/2019/07/23/ho...-minister-confirmation-that-were-all-in-hell/

"Hottest-ever July day arriving as Boris becomes Prime Minister ‘confirmation’ that we’re all in Hell

[​IMG]
    Downing Street has been forced to comment on speculation that the heatwave beginning today is not a sign of global warming, but actually the gates of Hell themselves opening to welcome their favourite son as Boris Johnson becomes prime minister.

“The hottest July day on record arriving with 24 hours of Boris becoming the nation’s leader is a complete coincidence,” said a Downing Street spokesman.

“We all know it’s hot because of our environmental policies, not because we are now led by Satan’s spawn himself.

“Yes, okay, so the four horsemen were also spotted earlier parading down the Mall but I’m sure there’s a perfectly reasonable explanation for that too.

“The rumour that a faint whiff of sulphur follows Boris around the corridors of Westminster can also easily be explained by one too many egg and cress sandwiches at lunchtime.”

Other odd phenomena allegedly spotted include a seven-headed beast rising from the Thames outside parliament, though Tory strategists were quick to blame this on pollution drifting downstream and affecting the fish.

The new prime minister himself has commented on the accusations, telling reporters, “Wiff-waff, mumble mumble, Europe to blame, blah blah, if I talk nonsense you won’t notice the number 666 that has miraculously appeared under my floppy fringe, hoo hah, la blah dah”

Many commentators admitted it’s the most coherent statement to come from him for quite some time.

Temperatures in the capital are predicted to rise to the mid-30s today, and touch 37 degrees on Thursday, although rain could also be expected as God himself weeps for the UK."

15. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I hung out washing at 1.55pm. By 2.10pm, it was dry.

16. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

I inadvertently bumped into an ex-colleague at 4 p.m. She invited me for a drink. 1lg wine made me desirous of another. Staggered home and opened another bottle. Oh dear.
    But only 4hrs till we BREAK UP!
    (Who'll notice?)
    Edit: Mr Aqua. Grumpy judgmental a rss.

17. Grandsire

Grandsire Senior commenter

We reached 34 degrees here this afternoon, and the patio was too hot to walk on in bare feet. I spent the day in the new inflatable pool...

BertieBassett2, needabreak and Curae like this.
  18. Aquamarina1234

If body found in bin bag under patio...

19. Aquamarina1234

Sorry Grandsire! Im much more murderous than you!
    At the moment. :mad:

20. Duke of York

The lyrics of "It's Too Darn Hot" say:

"According to the Kinsey report
    ev'ry average man you know
    much prefers his love-y dove-y to court
    when the temperature is low,
    but when the thermometer goes 'way up
    and the weather is sizzling hot,
    mister pants for romance is not
    'cause it's too, too, too darn hot!"

How is the current weather affecting your love life?