1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It's not possessive when it has an apostrophe!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jubilee, Oct 16, 2019.

1. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

It's not hard to type or write an apostrophe, so why not just do it? Why would you want to give up?

2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

This is what the Oxford Dictionary says:

"Its" Or "It’s"?

The word it’s is always short for ‘it is’ (as in it's raining), or in informal speech, for ‘it has’ (as in it's got six legs).

The word its means ‘belonging to it’ (as in hold its head still while I jump on its back). It is a possessive pronoun like his.

3. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I blame the education system. My crummy primary school didn't teach us about apostrophes, so I was about thirteen by the time someone noticed and explained, by which time I was plenty old enough to understand straightaway what was required and that was it. Less than one lesson and I've never had a problem with them. If you teach things too early then they get muddled or half forgotten and then you end up with a worse problem.

nizebaby likes this.
  4. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

Yes, but you will accept, as has been suggested by other posters, that “it’s” is used as a shortened form of “it has”, for example:
    It’s been raining
    It’s just arrived
    It’s recently been built
    Etc

edit - have just read your post more fully and see that you have made this point Apologies!

5. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I’d (not Id- that’s something else entirely:p) just like to say, I find punctuation, grammar and the development of both as well as historical linguistics absolutely fascinating.

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Even 'clever' Boris gets the use of the apostrophe wrong and the mistake eluded all scrutiny by his team. A correspondent in The Guardian pointed out the following excerpt from the signed letter that our PM sent to the EU:
    " ... our long history as neighbours and friends in this continent our people's share."
    Part of the reason for the superfluous apostrophe is, I suggest, the omission of the word that, that has become so prevalent in recent decades. I noticed it a lot when teaching MFL and pupils kept omitting its equivalent in French and Spanish (que in both languages) from their translations of their English thoughts.
    Had Boris written "our long history as neighbours and friends in (on) this continent that our ....", he'd have been unlikely to have made the apostrophe faux pas.

7. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Just shows that an expensive classical education is no bar writing bull-locks

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's always been known in the Tory Party that he's weak on detail. Why on earth did they select him to be in charge of negotiating details of a Withdrawal Act with the EU?