1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It's my birthday soon, and I am a hard person to buy gifts for...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doglover, Feb 11, 2011.

1. My husband has asked for some ideas of what to buy me, and I want him to help me redecorate the kitchen. He thinks this isn't very personal, but what I want to do is spend some money on paint and then spend the rest on lots of little bits and pieces to make it a warm homely kitchen, because I never have the spare money to buy them for the sake of it.
    The kitchen is relatively new itself, but is decorated rather simplistically at the moment, and I want to change the style to make it more homely, as I am fed up with it the way it is. When we put the new kitchen in, we went for more of a simple look as the kitchen before was a little cluttered. It just feels not very homely at the moment and I want it to say more about me.
    I think it is a reasonable thing to ask, as I would be spending the money on little bits and pieces which would be special to me, that I wouldn't otherwise be able to afford.
    I am talking about quality kitchen accessories, and not tat really.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

If you explain to your husband what you have said here won't he understand the personal connotation of the things you want?

3. That sounds lovely. I'm not sure why he doesn't understand - show him this post, maybe?

4. I think he probably just worries that he isn't doing something personal enough, that's all. You know what most men are like, he won't see the importance of all the little personal things, you decorate a home with and will think he has basically decorated the kitchen for my birthday, which isn't a good present, lol.
    Just as I am hard to buy for, he hasn't been good at buying presents in the past, lol.

5. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I LOVE my Dualit toaster & Simple Human Bin. Both at a more reasonalble price from Costco. xx

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

I know a lot of people who are Simple Human Bins.

7. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

[​IMG] my OH is one of those (although not small & square with two sections for recycling, lol)

8. Tell him you want...three tins of paint, four rollers , a box of Thorntons , a bunch of japonicas and a six rolls of posh wallpaper. :¬))

9. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Would it work if you went off to John Lewis together, raided the kitchen section then went for a latte and a big fat danish pastry. Persoanlly i think that would be a great birthday treat!

10. We don't have John Lewis in Northern Ireland :(

11. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Don't you have anything similar?

12. Then how about lunch in Fultons on Boucher Rd Belf then a poke through their kitcheny stuff. or debenhams.

13. Yep Fultons is lovely, but Debenhams is a bit hit and miss.
    I am going to do lots of online browsing, too. Notonthehighstreet have lots of lovely bits and pieces.

14. i love not on the high street! i might just go and have a browse myself!