1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It's like autumn here!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Marshall, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Heating on as Hubs is cold even though he has a blanket around him. I have a T-shirt on and flip flops.

All my money saving efforts will be eaten up quickly through our heating bill!

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I am in a long-sleeved top, cardigan and woolly slippers. It felt warmer this morning. Since the rain has set in, it has been chilly.

Marshall likes this.
  3. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Raining and windy here. Still our garden mole is happy piling up lots of hills for me to rake out.

Marshall likes this.
  4. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Much warmer today than it was on Wednesday, when i fleetingly did consider putting the heating on.
    ETA: The autumnal smell is in the air now, and the light quality has changed

blueskydreaming and Marshall like this.
  5. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

I would be the same with no heating on!

6. smoothnewt

smoothnewt Star commenter

I’ve given in and just changed into winter clothes. I’ve dug out my fleecy blanket and we’ve put the heating on. Feeling quite toasty now.

Marshall likes this.
  7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Get him to move. Doing some ironing would soon warm him up.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  8. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

Um, I think he might be too ill for that.

Marshall likes this.
  9. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Sorry. I don't know the poster and their background.

10. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Lead commenter

Autumn is definitely on its way. Two indications are:
    • I am wearing a vest
    • I heard a flock of geese flying overhead (didn't get to the window in time to see them, though)
    My daughter is having a barbecue tomorrow...

Marshall likes this.
  11. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

For back from a stay in London on Weds. Noticed the temperature drop up North. Resorted to fleeces. I usually don't feel the cold but am chilled to the bone and put heating on an hour a go.

Marshall likes this.
  12. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

Thank goodness I'm going on holiday to a much warmer place soon.

I've put a cardigan on but I don't think it's heating weather.

bombaysapphire likes this.
  13. red_observer

red_observer Star commenter

Yes been pretty grim here today in the centre of England.

sodalime and Marshall like this.
  14. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Someone had a bonfire (probably burning garden waste) this morning before it started raining. That makes me think of autumn!

blueskydreaming likes this.
  15. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Our heating came on yesterday morning...I obviously hadn't set the minimum temperature low enough to stop that happening!

16. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

The living room temperature is still registering a balmy 21 degrees - but I'm in fleece, long trousers, socks & slippers and still feeling chilly, something I rarely do.

I was out walking in the rain earlier, and it wasn't cold, just wet. It must be the dampness which makes it feel so cold.

17. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I've just put the heating on. Nooooo!

18. Lazycat

Lazycat Established commenter

It’s rained all day here. I went into town this afternoon and came home with sodden feet and ruined shoes. I’ve never seen so many people walking round a city centre in wellies. (Sensible people, I wish I’d thought to do that)

19. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Other thing I have noticed more than anything is how early it now is getting dark. A few weeks ago you could go for an evening walk until 9:30 pm. Now it is dark around here about 8: 40 pm or so.

I hate that, especially when you know it is getting worse day by day...

20. sodalime

sodalime Lead commenter

Tidal (the poster) used to start a thread every year (on the 21st of June) to mark the 'inexorable decline to darkness' or some such words.
    But, yeah, asides from missing Tidal, I'm really noticing the 'nights fair drawin' in'.