1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It’s just too much!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Iggy_B, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Iggy_B

Iggy_B New commenter

So it’s just getting too much and I don’t know what to do. I’m an nqt in an RI school and had a chat with my mentor and head last week but I don’t feel I can go on

Last week the school had a learning walk and they’re going to be in a lot of intervention for me as I’m not making the progress expected, but I just feel so stressed! There’s so much they want us to do besides the usual lessons I’ve to got to fit in spelling, handwriting, fluency task for maths, they all need to be seen for reading once a week, and the class have to got to collective worship every day at 2.30pm. Plus we have 2/3 meetings a week as well. Suffice to say I'm not sleeping, eating **** food and making my life miserable at home.

I keep telling my self that I'll see it out to Xmas to get the first term under my belt but the thought of going in tomorrow feels me with dread.

2. Informant

Informant New commenter

A close friend/colleague of mine had a similarly demanding NQT experience in a failing school. I suspect Senior Management were keen to be seen to identify failings other than themselves. Whether or not this was the case, he left the school with an incomplete and doubtful looking NQT history, moved to another (better) school and never looked back. Confidence and self esteem were restored with supportive colleagues.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

try a different school. if that is no better try a different career.

Don't worry, there are many other options, you will find something better, don't let this become a blight on your life, you can walk away. Its a hard thing to get into your head once you have started teaching and fallen into the trench, but its actually easier to get out than you think, once you have made the decision

pepper5, Iggy_B and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Iggy_B

Iggy_B New commenter

Thanks for sharing this. It's something plan to look at asap. My colleague was off last week and I had a long chat with the supply and it’s something she said hi should do to see inside other schools and use that to decide whether I could see myself in those schools.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. Gillianbrunner

Gillianbrunner New commenter

I’ve he a similarly neg experience and asked to leave but need to work my notice til Feb is there no way out earlier? If I leave in Feb will that half a second term also count to my NQT as it won’t be a full term? Don’t really want it too as I’m sure they’ll say I’m not meeting the standards still

pepper5 likes this.
  6. lmelin132

lmelin132 New commenter

I don't have any advice; I just wanted to say that I totally get how you feel. I started my first teaching post in September and feel like I am always working. I feel anxious and unhappy a lot of the time. Having spoken to other NQTs it seems that the first term often feels like this. I am living in hope that it will get better after Christmas.
    I hope you can get through the term and that things get better for you. Lots of love xx

pepper5 and Iggy_B like this.
  7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

If there are concerns then these should be clearly communicated to you.There needs to be an action plan detailing the additional support provided over the next half term. Your progress will be reviewed before the first assessment report is produced in December. If this is not meeting standard then support continues in Spring Term. You need to decide whether you feel that you stand a chance in this school or whether you need to leave If you go well before the end of term the first report is not produced as you have not done a full term. If you stay after Christmas you need to be clear that there is a good chance of meeting standards by Easter

pepper5 likes this.
  8. Iggy_B

Iggy_B New commenter

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately, I have now been signed off with stress for two weeks and I am in a complete state. I just don't know what to do. I will speak to my union tomorrow as well as my LEAs NQT dept to clarify things.

9. bikergrrl

bikergrrl New commenter

You are not alone. I have been signed off with stress and asked to be released from my contract. Today I read the first report about me on NQT Manager and they have done a total hatchet job on me. Apparently they offered me all sorts of support and I was still failing on everything. My version is very, very different. I also saw on the form that I wouldn't be there next term, which they haven't bothered to tell me officially, but is what I asked for. At least I am free from there and don't have to stress about going back after Christmas. Not sure what to do next though...

pepper5 and blueskydreaming like this.
  10. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Do go back to your LA named contact be clear about what the issues have been and where ADDITIONAL support has been given to you. Do use your Union for help @melaniekreynolds the first assessment has space for your comments and signature if you do not agree do not sign. The minimum assessment period is 1 full term so if have left before end of term it is not valid and should not be recorded

sabrinakat likes this.
  11. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Please check your terms and conditions. Not all schools have the same rules now, but if you are under the usual teachers' conditions, then you are not entitled to leave in February. You might have heard that you have to give half a term's notice, but the (usual) rules say that you must resign by end of Oct/Feb/May to leave at the end of Dec/Apr/Aug (with some adjustments for Easter). You are not entitled to leave mid-term. That said, it's something you can ask about; heads can release you mid-term by mutual agreement. If they know that you're intending going at Easter anyway, they might agree to release you as soon as they can recruit a replacement.

12. Informant

Informant New commenter

To add hope from further detail to the account of my friend/colleague who left during his NQT year in a failing school. As Easter approached the school rather surprised him by declaring he would not be given satisfactory for this 2nd term, but he could leave right now and replay that 2nd term somewhere else. I believe it was partially driven by the financial gain to the school of saving a couple of weeks salary plus the Easter holiday payments (you will recall he left and thrived in his next school).

The moral of this experience is that a school may agree to immediate release if it suits them, so don't feel that formal notice dates for resignation can never be negotiated.