1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

‘It's hard to argue for school autonomy,' says academy chief

Discussion in 'Education news' started by carterkit, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Agreed, and also even the grammars and indies are now becoming predictable in how they try to look unpredictable and quirky. GAH! I’m fed up with growth mindset, mood rooms, student councils and lots of trips to sculpture parks. What defines humanity and creativity? I think you’ll find it’s dynamic, empathetic teachers, not edubot educational academy trust, where in Mondays at 10, all 30 school starts in the chain teach People Service Skills to their year tens in PSHE. It’s so awful.

agathamorse likes this.
  2. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The sheer waste of money on a destructive bureaucratic exercise in unnecessary transformational management gunk that irks me.

The lie peddled... greater autonomy for schools to cater for their local communities needs... was a good goal that has been shown up to be a political lie a scale that should shame both major parties.

3. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

One example of this approach is the single primary curriculum that was rolled out across the trust towards the end of the year.

We have a National Curriculum - is theirs better?

4. nervousned

nervousned Senior commenter

I expect that it is the same content but heavily prescribed teaching methods.

phlogiston, lanokia and agathamorse like this.
  5. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

I used to work at a dret school and i left shortly after the current CEO started. I was at a small school. Dret had quite a mixture while they did try and make sites uniform there was in some placws the opportunity to be unique and out the box.

I saw some teachers do completely inspirational things beyond the call because they felt supported and trusted. My line manager turned her classroom into a zoo (seriously) so that students could learn about animals and classification better. I saw science technicians who turned classrooms into crime scenes and ran science clubs to engage students.

I know a music teacher who got his kids singing in a local production so there was something his students could work towards and set up music days.
    remember an English teacher doing Shakespeare and to learn the words had them writing Shakespearian insults and descriptions about the characters, different yes, engaging definitely.

There was a minimum expectation for staff if you knew a better way people were willing to listen and let them try I do hope that hasn't entirely gone for the sake of having a standardised approach to maximise use of time and ensure assessment and progress can be monitored and compared.

There was lots of sport to.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Indeed... centralised prescribed work rolled out and observation based on how well you teach the prescribed work.

How very tedious.

agathamorse likes this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Amazon Education for rude and distractible kids. Fab..u...lous!

agathamorse likes this.
  8. chelsea2

chelsea2 Star commenter

I'll answer my own question: no.
    According to a friend, who works for that MAT, it's very, very knowledge heavy, and geared only towards the most able.

agathamorse and yodaami2 like this.