1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

‘It's hard to argue for school autonomy,' says academy chief

Discussion in 'Education news' started by carterkit, Aug 18, 2018.

1. carterkit

carterkit Occasional commenter

"The former management consultant, who has worked in the private, public and charity sectors, said the number one priority in her first year at the trust was about “creating an organisation that wasn’t 34 different organisations with a head office that was simply seen as an overhead, but to create a corporate organisation that felt [as though] it all belonged together and where everybody felt they were in it together – this idea of a collective endeavour” (My italics)

If I start to comment I might not stop (having read the article) so I'll just leave it there.

https://www.tes.com/news/exclusive-its-hard-argue-school-autonomy-says-academy-chief

2. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Not quite sure what gives her the experience to run an education body. If that is her approach, she should save money by abolishing the posts of head and deputy head in all her schools and just set out her own curriculum day by day, hour by hour.

JohnJCazorla, nomad and agathamorse like this.
  3. carterkit

carterkit Occasional commenter

You obviously read her mind!

"One example of this approach is the single primary curriculum that was rolled out across the trust towards the end of the year."

JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  4. SomethingWicked

SomethingWicked Occasional commenter

It seems the government's pet project of academy chains has come back to bite it. The alleged* rationale behind academisation (and free schools) was to diversify the choice of schools available to parents and students. This CEO is arguing for precisely the opposite.

*obviously that was just the political spin and actual reasons included cost-cutting, union-busting, privatisation (among others).

JohnJCazorla, tterb, chelsea2 and 4 others like this.
  5. Marshall

Marshall Lead commenter

Thank goodness I only have a few years to go before I retire - what a nightmare:(

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Anyone know how much she is trousering for this twaddle?

tterb, tonymars and hammie like this.
  7. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Well their director of Human resources gets £90k with 4 other salaries in the same area.

She must be a new CEO, the one they had in 2016 got £170k

8. yodaami2

yodaami2 Lead commenter

I know of a CEO who had 8 schools in the consortium around £180000!

9. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

The 2016 CEO was Wendy Marshal who didn't seem to mind the variety she allowed academies to have their own culture. But something happened and quite a lot of the hierarchy left. Strangely around the same time as ofsted went in

10. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

Far too much.

11. afterdark

afterdark Lead commenter

12. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

how does this fit in with the history "a study of an aspect of history or a site dating from a period beyond 1066 that is significant in the locality"

13. bessiesmith

bessiesmith Occasional commenter

She (and others who favour the MAT model) doesn't seem to understand the nature of education. If I buy pritt-stick then I am hoping the product will be identical to the one I bought last month - I'm looking for basic, does-what-it-says-on-the-label, predictable, boring and safe.

This is not what I want when I'm choosing a school for my children - it should be all about the exciting, unpredictable adventure of learning with teachers responding creatively to the needs of the learners - whose needs might be very different from the children in the class next door - let alone a group of children on the opposite side of the country.

14. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

agathamorse likes this.
  15. Mrsmumbles

Bet she used to make the tea at the DFE. How have the humble been overpromoted.

tterb likes this.
  16. install

install Star commenter

Mmmm...so they won't be actually teaching then? That says it all to me. Do we really need CEOs ?

Mrsmumbles and agathamorse like this.
  17. ajs12345

ajs12345 New commenter

There is a whole new stratum of former heads who are now creaming 100k plus to oversee academy chains up and down the land. People wonder why there’s a drought of good heads when we have hundreds of them hopping on the CEO gravy train! I’d love to know just how many more millions this must be costing the taxpayer compared to LEAs

18. install

install Star commenter

'Its all about the money' for some hts and ceos...and their pay.

schoolsout4summer and Mrsmumbles like this.
  19. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

The whole point to the corporate world is to deliver the same standard of service. Putting little widgets in little boxes using semiskilled staff. We all know where this going, the only way to make further savings is to down skill and pay less wages. The days of the unqualified teacher is coming where a recipe lesson is followed which has probably been setup by qualified teachers and put on the MATs intranet.
    The government sits back and sees if this model works compared to all the other models that have been setup. We are seeing a generation of educational guinea pigs which takes little account of the individuality and excitement of learning that will probably be left to the better independent schools.

20. Mrsmumbles

Nope.

install and agathamorse like this.