1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It's happened again...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by slingshotsally, Oct 20, 2017.

1. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

We don't have the heating on during the day.

slingshotsally and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  2. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Established commenter

Good luck Sally. Keep trying and don't give up.

3. frangipani123

frangipani123 Senior commenter

I'm sorry to hear this.

Are there any organisations that can help you out, the Education Support Partnership for example? Or any local community organisations? Have you checked that you receive all the benefits you're entitled to? I'm sure you have as you always seem on the ball.

I hope that it's a case of being darkest before dawn.

4. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

I really am speechless with the whole thing. Speechless. How much more clear can you make that you are applying for the TA vacancy?

slingshotsally likes this.
  5. pickles124

@slingshotsally i will pray for you. Know that you are not alone, i feel your pain too. x

6. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

During the interview with HT and governors, I mentioned that I had applied for the TA post. They were all a bit surprised as none of them had read through the application itself, just the qualifications list, ID information and previous jobs.

One of the governors pointed out how embarrassing it was. I wonder how I could advise people of their error, but still have a chance of a job. Last time this happened, I informed the HT that I applied for TA role (not DHT), but I was still rejected.

So on this occasion, I went through to the interview, prepped everything, did the interview and mentioned the TA post, but I still get declined.

No surprises, this time.

7. slingshotsally

Both my husband and I have Zero Hours Contracts. My husband has been working 6 days a week, but I haven't been called at all since end of last summer term. As a result, no holiday pay over the summer.

I've tried tutoring, but only have one pupil and I'm very pleased to have this as it does bring in a little money.

I've put notices up for cleaning, tutoring, dog walking, ironing.

Applied for care assistant, shop assistant, insurance sales, office admin (commercial offices), school office admin, Gardening centre jobs, Christmas shelf stacker, night time shelf stacker...

chelsea2 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

I believe there is a website called Dogbuddy.com for dog walking and dog care. My neighbour told me about it. She says she gets lots of work through it. Just a thought.

slingshotsally likes this.
  9. pickles124

Are zero hours contracts becoming more common place in schools.

As for the school themselves they deserve to be embarassed. If that had been anyone else exhibiting incompetence theyd be pulled over tge coals.

But its ok for the recruitment panel to act dim witted?

Lara mfl 05 and slingshotsally like this.
  10. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

Have you looked on the indeed jobs website? Might be something there for you.

frangipani123 and slingshotsally like this.
  11. slingshotsally

It's interesting.

Once people have gained the position of gate keeper to jobs, how well they discharge their duties depends a lot on their attitude to their duties and the applicants.

I've been part of a selection panel, and we read through the whole application! We prepped the questions for the applicants prior to the interviews and made copious notes as aides memoire for afterwards.

Had I made a mistake of not reading the application and checking the post the applicant applied for, what would I do if they "enlightened" the interview panel? I'd like to think I would be able to get over my embarrassment.

But I guess it depends a lot on what they are recruiting for. If they want a compliant workforce who goes along with whatever is stated by those who have leadership, then it is unlikely they would hire someone who enlightened or embarrassed them from the first interview!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  12. slingshotsally

I've looked at indeed, monster, posted my details to agencies, applied for at least 4 jobs a day in and out of education.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. frangipani123

There are a number of websites that provide online language tutoring, one of the biggest is italki which I believe covers China, so there are plenty of possible students. You can provide conversation rather than teaching English per se:

https://www.italki.com/teacher/application

There is another well known one that I can't recall at the moment.

galerider123 and slingshotsally like this.
  14. frangipani123

15. slingshotsally

I've just sent off another two applications for TA posts in schools near me.

@frangipani123 Those links are extremely helpful. Thank you.

Lara mfl 05 and frangipani123 like this.
  16. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

They aren't in command of their brief. Bojos, all of them.

17. thatmaninthehat

thatmaninthehat Occasional commenter

I've been following your posts Sally and am so sorry you've had another disappointment.I've been desperate for work myself lately but have just managed to get a job in retail.Keep checking the websites of all the major Supermarkets and apply for everything going.Doesn't matter what the job is,just get your foot in the door.I honestly believe people like us who might seem a little 'over-qualified' can thrive and enjoy working in a different environment to teaching.

EmanuelShadrack and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  18. thatmaninthehat

Got to get this idea off my chest.I can't quite believe they didn't know you'd applied for the TA post.Did they just see a teacher who was desperate for work and wanted to see how many hoops you were willing to jump through to get a job?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  19. slingshotsally

@thatmaninthehat

I'm pretty sure it was a mistake. Who would waste their time in such a way, deliberately!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  20. thatmaninthehat

Evil egotistical people.Sick I know but when they have a lot of candidates maybe they play them like cats with mice.Apologies to people with cats.I like cats but not humans who adopt their less attractive ways.