1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It's getting too much

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by pleasemiss__, Feb 1, 2016.

1. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

Hello.
    I'm working a long term supply post through an agency. I enjoy the work place, but have been told there is no position for me to take on permanently. Fair enough. As there is no permanent job for me, and I'm finding behaviour increasingly challenging to manage, I don't want to stay beyond half term and would like to look elsewhere for permanent work (which I find difficult to do while still working full time teaching hours blah blah blah).

If I give two weeks notice to the school and my agency, would that be adequate? I hope to leave at half term.

Has anyone left a long term supply post? How did you do it? What notice did you give?

2. nearmiss

nearmiss Lead commenter

You are working with the school through an intermediary, your agency. The school is not your employer so your contract binds you to the agency. Any negotiation about that contract is to be between you and the agency.
    Do not discuss the terms of your employment with the school.
    I would recommend a week's notice if you are being paid weekly.
    For what it's worth, it's only two weeks to half term so it's guaranteed money. Can't you tough it out just for that?

3. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Two weeks notice should be more than adequate. I don't blame you for wanting to leave if the behaviour is challenging. As nearmiss says, discuss this with your agency not the school.

All the best for finding a permanent post that suits you.

les25paul and wanet like this.
  4. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Two weeks is a generous notice to give and both the school and agency should be happy with that. As already said the agency is your employer and they are the ones to speak with. Once thats done it would be courteous to keep your HOD in the picture but there's no reason to over explain why you are leaving.

You would be doing the department and your replacement supply teacher a huge favour if you left some brief handover notes when you do go.

5. pleasemiss__

Thanks for the advice, everyone.
    I spoke to my agency who took my words, twisted them, and left the school unsure about what I wanted from them. I then spoke to the school who completely understood my situation and were very understanding about my leaving at half term.
    I'm glad I stayed the final two weeks, that extra little bit of cash will be useful.

6. pleasemiss__

I will not be sad to see the back of my agency. It's only in times when i have to actually deal with the agency staff that I realise how utterly bizarre the whole thing is. I don't think they think that I'm a person. And i don't think they talk to me like normal people talk to me. And i don't think they have normal people logic either. And what kind of agency sends you text messages and emails at 9pm?? Odd. Don't get me wrong, i am grateful to them for finding me work, but enough is enough.