1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It's getting a tad warm in my world!

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by josienig, Apr 22, 2016.

1. josienig

josienig Star commenter

The little fluttery flushes that came and went last Sept hibernated and have just re-emerged. Their wee sleep has certainly energised them..this could be interesting. First lesson of this new phase for me is that layers are the new black ;)
    * I find it very weird that I have morphed from a perfectly ordinary 30 yr old girl to a 51 year old woman in a the space of c.5 years :(

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not quite sure if you mean physical or personal warmth? However either way, layers are always the way to go.

Even this winter I've been wearing sleeveless tops so I can remove the sleeved cardi /jumper before I go to visit the sauna/hothouse, which is mother-in-law's home. Before I did that I actually felt faint and had to go outside to cool down before I fell to the floor. Not good when you're the carer! ;)
    To think when we first married I was the 'cold one' who could never get warm! ;)

3. josienig

josienig Star commenter

@lara..it's the physical! I had a few discrete waves of hot flushes in Sept and then they stopped. Over the last week it's been the full-on, sudden heat tsumani..first day it happened in school I was wearing a lovely merino wool jumper over a tight sleeveless tee shirt :)

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

The other piece of advice, which you're probably already doing, is to ensure all clothing is natural fabric, right down to the under-garment and nightclothes.Natural fibres tend to make one sweat less and are more absorbent.

'Loose' is better than tight too!;) So those close-fitting tees might have to be reserved for weekend wear.
    A small spritzer (fits inside a small bag) to spray on face/ neck in between lessons is another idea and open windows whenever possible.

josienig likes this.
  5. josienig

josienig Star commenter

The tight fitting anything is rapidly heading to the charity bag :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  6. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

Are you saying that you are only 30 and experiencing what sounds like menopausal symptoms, ie hot flushes? If so, I would see your GP as a matter of urgency. My niece had no periods for a year, put it down to stress and did nothing about it. Not sure about any other symptoms. She was in her early 30s. Sadly she had gone through an early menopause and there was nothing the GP could do for her. Hope this is not the case for you.

7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

i read a Michael Caine quote. "How come I'm 83, I was only 35, ten years ago." We know what he means.

Lara mfl 05 and josienig like this.
  8. josienig

josienig Star commenter

@JLT not at all..am 51, it's just that I can't believe how quickly time has passed. I feel am only a young one! :)
    Thank you for your concern..my own sister had the same experience as your niece..they were trying to have a baby, went for tests and only then discovered that the missed periods were early onset menopause. (No period, thought she was pregnant, then a period the next month..before the days of over the counter pregnancy tests ). She was in early 30's.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

HRT is wonderful. I would not have been able to continue teaching without it. I don't smoke, am slim, exercise and drink a little alcohol so am a good candidate for it. Lots of advantages to taking it besides the elimination of flushes.

10. Motherofchikkins

Motherofchikkins Star commenter

I keep hoping I'm at the tail end of mine. I had HRT for a couple of years, but as soon as I came off it, it just started all over again. It seems to be nights that are the worst time now. I took to sleeping on top of a beach towel, as I was tired of having to wash the sheets every day and we have to be careful with water (we only have on rain water tanks - no mains supply)

I know you can't do this at work, but when you're at home, a damp face cloth kept in a plastic bag in the freezer will be your new best friend :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.