1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It’s easy to sneer at US fringe politics, but the crackpots are gaining ground in the UK too

Discussion in 'Personal' started by FrankWolley, Mar 30, 2016.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's called UKIP.com Frank

FrankWolley likes this.
  3. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Not wanting to sound like a UKIP supporter... but those crackpots got more votes than the LibDems last election and are the number 1 party from the Euro elections [which you'd think they'd boycott].

delnon likes this.
  5. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

UKIP? I think I've heard of them. They're the party with the big anti-Semitism problem, aren't they?

6. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Hm. They got waay fewer votes than the Lib dems in Scotland in the last general election here. Marginally more than the Greens though, which is a bit depressing.

7. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

LibDems ?, are they are a political party ?

9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

[​IMG]

10. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

[​IMG]

11. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

A parliamentary journalist the other day mentioned that catching sight of Nick Clegg sauntering about the Commons is like a weird acid flashback.

12. peakster

peakster Star commenter

In the late 80s the then Prime Minister of Canada (Mr Brian Mulrooney - now a bigwig in the UN I believe) managed the Cleggesque feat of taking his party (The Conservatives) from 186 seats to 2 in one election.

So there is hope for the poor lad after all.

13. delnon

delnon Lead commenter

Haven't the crackpot parties been running the country for the last six decades?

14. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

15. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

16. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Not quite sure how what anyone else has said means that the number of anti-semitic Ukip voters is any fewer.

Still, I don't come here for logic and reason, so carry on

17. bonkers 704

bonkers 704 Lead commenter

"Anti-Semite!" is now being used as a jibe designed to shut down debate on Israel in the same way as "Racist!" is used to shut down debate on immigration.

18. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

No, it is not.

19. bonkers 704

bonkers 704 Lead commenter