1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Its cultural......

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by maggie m, Oct 13, 2015.

1. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

I am at a loss as to what I should do. A year 11 pupil fainted in my lesson last week it was the lesson before lunch. She has told me that she ate no breakfast that day but went on to tell me she never has time for breakfast as she and her younger brothers are woken at 5.30 each morning and made to read the bible until leaving for school at approx 8am So she has no time to eat. I reported my concern to the member of SMT responsible for safeguarding. As soon as said member of SMT saw the childs name (it is clearly of African origin) I was told that the family are known and not to worry its cultural and the school can not get involved!!!!!!!!!

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

Somebody doesn't want to open a can of worms.

3. mark6243

mark6243 Occasional commenter

As Richard Dawkins remarked 'religion trumps everything'.

4. Catjellycat

Catjellycat Occasional commenter

Bypass them and make an anon referral to the front door team of your local social services. I'm afraid if something happens to this child that 'I told the safeguarding person' won't be enough of an excuse in court. In the Victoria Climbe case, people were criticised for not chasing up their superiors

5. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

safeguarding issue. bypass. make sure your concerns are put in an email to SMT person so that you have a paper trail.

6. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Paper trail everything. If need be pass it on to the LA safeguarding person with a copy of your in school referral too. At that point, you've done your role (that's not as heartless as it reads. What I mean is that you've acted within your remit. It's not your role to investigate).

7. ValentinoRossi

ValentinoRossi Star commenter

Do what Emily says. Without question.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  8. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Not your role to investigate but anyone can report a concern to Children's Services - google your local service. Plus what Emily said.

'Cultural' takes second place to safeguarding.

9. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Follow your school's safeguarding procedure to the letter. Every school should have a Cause for Concern form accessible to all staff (TAs, lunch time supervisors, site manager etc) in the staff room or in the school office. Complete one. Send it to the DSL and copy it to the Head teacher. Do not keep a copy for your own records as this may skew any action that Social Services can or may take.

If in doubt record everything.

10. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

notsonorthernlass likes this.
  11. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

While you don't investigate, you must go to the designated person, if that fails, the headmaster/Head teacher, if that fails, then social services. New parts if the child protection legislation came into force in 2015 - reporting of FGM (which is 'cultural') and in July 2015(I think) regarding radicalisation. If your school didn't do a refresher for all staff, that is indeed a concern as the obligations have shifted to include more cultural and religious behaviour - whatever the religion. Speak out and report it.

Best wishes

12. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Yes. Should be something called 'first response' or something like this. You can contact yourself.