1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It's been a while - any other strategies?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by kimmybob, Feb 4, 2016.

1. kimmybob

kimmybob New commenter

Hi all,

It's been a number of years since I posted however after 7 years, I am now stuck.

I work in a secondary school, which is in SM. However, I have a number of pupils in two Y8 classes who cause a number of disruptions to the learning. I have attempted every strategy I can think of - you name it, I am likely to have tried it.

• Phone calls home don't work.
    • Parental meetings don't and haven't worked.
    • New differentiated seating plan.
    • Positive phone calls, postcards, post its, verbal praise, immediate feedback etc., hasn't worked.
    • A variety of challenging/differentiated activities.
    • Detentions.
    • Following the school policy to the letter.
    • HOY, HOD and pastoral intervention hasn't worked.
    • Departmental reports for these students to monitor progress.
    These are just a few of the things I have tried.

I am run ragged with them. Their books and assessments are marked up to date with positive comments and constructive feedback in line with the school policy. They all get my attention.

I am completely and utterly lost as to what to do? The behaviour was terrible yesterday and they ended up throwing erasers around the room one of which hit my head.

I have hit the books to find different strategies, none of which seem to have worked. Has anyone had a similar issue and found something that worked.

Today I am doing ' Lets make it better' lesson where we will have an open forum to discuss and challenge issues. I hope it works.

HELP!

P.s thank you!

2. kimmybob

kimmybob New commenter

I must add, when waiting for the class to settle, I wait patiently as raising my voice doesn't work. Unfortunately, the students are very used to teachers being loud and I have found it makes the situation worse, so I usually wait patiently. I have used the 'clap your hands once/ twice' if you can hear me to settle the class, however this only works now and again. I feel like I'm letting them down, however they really struggle to control themselves and it disrupts the whole learning environment.

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I'd stop being positive. At the moment they misbehave and you run about ensuring they have a variety of tasks, positive feedback and now a whole lesson devoted to their poor behaviour. Withdraw your attention.

If your school are supportive pick the two or three worst offenders in each class and arrange for them to work in the back of other classes - have a polypocket ready with paper, appropriate task, pencil all organised so that there is no fuss and bother. As soon as they misbehave, hand over the work and send them off with NO discussion other than reinforcing that if they cannot behave in your class they will not be allowed in your class. Have a whole pile of polypockets sitting so the rest can see you can, if necessary turf out as many as it takes. Be super nice to the remaining kids who behave and try to get them to realise that lessons are better that way.

At the end of the lesson speak to the offenders individually. Do not let them talk. Explain you care about their learning but their behaviour in class is disrupting it. Until they behave appropriate work will be set and marked but they will not be allowed participate in lessons until they have proved they can behave. Send them away. Mark any work they have done with simple tick, tick, cross and a next step. No praise.

I know some schools like the clapping/counting things to get attention but I don't see why adding more noise to a chaotic situation helps. Stand at the front, state you are waiting for quiet to start the lesson, glare and repeat occasionally at normal voice level until you get it. Then and only then, give them a quick, sharp reminder that you expect silence the first time you ask and move on.

monicabilongame likes this.
  4. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Are these students problematic in other subjects ? I only ask in that if the behaviour is replicated across the curriculum it would make sense for the HoY to have a more joined up approach to addressing ?

5. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

.....,and given the fact of the added pressure of measures and HMI monitoring visits it would make sense if the HoY / HoD were significantly proactive ( unless of course there is a game plan to spirit said students off on an away day when it suited -ha ! )

6. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Can you find any interesting activities to engage these difficult youngsters in to give them a sense of purpose?

I find unicycling works well. I use it effectively in my local community.

If you find ways to help them achieve whatever, they may just 'play the game' in class. They are at an age where they enjoy learning ... just not necessarily school lessons.

Just a thought.

Kevin the Clown