1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Its Back

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by abmiss, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Thin covering north of the city this morning [​IMG]

2. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

just a wee sprinling this morning we're out west!

3. Shh, it's only a wee bit and I'm in denial.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Still nothing south of "city". Hope the dusting others seems to have just stays a dusting and nothing more.

5. Had a very small dusting yesterday, but it's just a miserable wet and windy day here now.

6. Here too. Hooray!

7. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Raining today! Yipee

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Here too. Isn't it sad that we've all been so stressed by the snow that we are rejoicing at getting rain?

9. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

I did think that after I'd posted. Its been a ghastly dreich day but at least no snow!

10. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Missed the P&J but I have been really p****d with some of the stuff on the Scotsmad site!

11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Probably pretty similar. Letters from readers complaining about school being shut or saying it's ok for schools to be shut for pupils but that teachers should have to go in.... And articles about private schools not having had a single snow day,conveniently forgetting to mention that State schools situated in the town centre did not close either!

12. Many of their pupils didn't get in every day, though!

13. catmother

catmother Star commenter

My point,exactly. They were affected, the same way state schools were. Some of their buses were not running and some parents who normally drive their kids in would have taken a look at the weather and thought "I'm not driving today". I just wished that articles would have mentioned this. They made it look as if private school were opened and not affected at all by the weather,therefore making state school look like a bunch of wimps.

14. I think the difficulty in Aberdeen is that the council is (often rightly) under constant attack from the local press (P&J and EE). Schools are seen as extensions of the council and therefore fair game, in the same way that the roads department, the rating departments and planning departments are also hugely unpopular. Council bureaucrats and HTs are in turn terrified of bad press.
    Most of the resentment at teachers' 'duvet days' is simple envy. The penny hasn't dropped that teachers teach kids and if the kids ain't there .... In the absence of pupils, a half-organised teacher can largely work from home today. Alas, this doesn't apply if you work in a bank, shop or hospital.

15. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Back to school tomorrow and back to the anguish of watching every weather report in existence! Never quite recovered from the last lot.

16. ScotSEN

ScotSEN Senior commenter

Ok so far! keepin fingers a d everything else crossed!