1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It's all our fault again then..

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by PaulDG, Mar 2, 2012.

1. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Just been listening to Radio 4 and the launch of the National Numeracy charity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-17224600

Apparently the reason Britain is falling behind the rest of the world is because maths teachers are failing to engage adolescents.

Why am I not surprised?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

This is a problem that has been around for decades. And unfortunately adult education is nat valued in this country.

3. I was in my local Tesco supermarket yesterday. I spotted the following offer:
    £1.45 for a bottle of apple juice, 2 for £3. I pointed this out to the (young) person
    in charge of the tills - she looked at in amazement and said it was a good offer!

4. I wanted a pair of boots £50 - with 30% off. Girl at the till looked confused so I did the sum for her.
    How did you do that she asked amazed? 10% is £5 so 30% is £15, then subtract from £50. And she looked even more astounded when the till confirmed the calculation.
    It's because they don't do tables said an older assistant. Yes, I agreed andcommented that kids I tutored were tested with 7X8 ....52? she offered. Nooooo, 56.... But they don't do mental arithmetic now at school do they she added.....

5. mmmmmaths

mmmmmaths New commenter

I used to think offers like these were a mistake. I now think that it is just a ploy to get people to buy more of the product. They think they have a bargain, store makes even more profit.

6. Best I ever saw was about two years ago in ASDA.
    Wine Gums £0.99 for 2 packs. £1 per pack. Just give the damn things away!

7. When I worked in the food industry, we did a lot of BOGOFs.
    The point was that we sold X amount of product at BOGOF. The point is that it increased sales normally by about 5 or 6 times. The sales afterwards were generally lower (frozen foods) and we always thought this was because of storage, but that is beside the point. The point is that extra production made the overall cost of the product lower due to extended production runs.
    The idea for supermarkets is that such deals keep customers shopping in the store, so the keep sales. The type of deal mentioned above is rare. Supermarkets know that the majority of shoppers are quite price-aware. That is why they've taken on points cards and loyalty bonuses.

8. A lot of point is...
    Excuse me...
    I hope you get the drift...