1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

***It's a Wonderful World***

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Ms_Smiles, Dec 12, 2016.

1. Ms_Smiles

Ms_Smiles New commenter

Hello everyone,

Our new topic for Spring 1 (don't judge me, it's never to early to start getting organised!) is, "It's a Wonderful World."
    This is aimed to cover religion, culture, traditions and festivals.

Just wanted some signposts to anything other EYFS teams may have done, I was all ready to start getting stuff together for "growing" as that's what I have normally done so feeling a little lost and just wanting some advice from all you fab people out there!

Looking forward to reading your ideas and suggestions.

Thank you in advance :)

P.S. #notlongtogo #wecandoit

2. May2

May2 Established commenter

I think this title can still cover your growing but is broader and can cover New Life in Plants and animals, chicks at Easter etc celebrating what our mother's do for Mother's Day

3. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

I am not in Early years but in February you have Chinese new year and Thipusam which would make for some interesting discussions of different cultures/religions. Seems a shame not to be doing growing in Spring, children love to grow things! You will definitely be able to get some of it in by looking at how spring is relevent to different cultures around the world :)

4. Ms_Smiles

Ms_Smiles New commenter

Hey both, thanks for your replies.

Yes, I have CNY down on my planning, will be great as I have a number of Chinese ch in my class. We will be doing growing but in spring 2.

:) any other ideas would be appreciated, particularly interested in introducing diversity to my little sparks!

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Do you have any children from other nationalities or religions in the class? If you can make links to things/people the children know personally then I find they tend to be more interested and engaged.

It might be worth starting with New Year celebrations, as it will only be a few days after 1st January when term starts. You could have a look at a video of the fireworks in different cities (eg. there's usually one compiled by the BBC) and look for those places on a map of the world.

Australia Day is on 29th January and could be a good excuse to find out a bit about Australian traditions and culture. Fairy bread and aboriginal art are fun for EYFS.

You could end the topic by looking at some "end of winter" celebrations - Maslenitsa in Russia, Carnival in Germany, Mardi Gras in Brazil, Pancake Day in the UK.