1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

"It's £30 more because of it being blue."

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Yoda-, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I was out with Mrs Yoda today. Two identical coats apart from colour, in a clearance event at H***** of ****** .

£47 beige, £77 blue!

Grrr.

Guess one Mrs Y liked?

We were both very unimpressed when we asked why?

"It's £30 more because of it being blue."

Have you had any similar experiences?

2. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Oh don't start me off on this one!!

I count myself fortunate only because my son-in-law's parents volunteered to buy the soon-to-be-parents a pram. (Phew!)

We volunteered to buy a baby car seat. That's a racket in itself, as they (apparently) need an ISO-fixing kit costing almost as much as the car seat. Bye bye three hundred and fifty quid.

But we were incensed to discover that for any colour except black one is ripped off to the tune of a further £25.

Yoda- likes this.
  3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

All the time.
    The yucky day-goo colours are always reduced more as they are desperate to get rid of them.

Yoda- likes this.
  4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Just wait GLsghost, that's just the start!
    Moses basket, dream sheep, sleepyhead thingy, co sleeper all before the age of three months. We bought the 'travel system' the pram part of which was used for a very short time, as was the Moses basket. It was on offer though, as it obviously wasn't a popular colour. Does the same job!

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

day-glo

Quite why autocorrect prefers day-goo I do not know but I suppose it serves me right for pontificating about spelling elsewhere.

foxtail3 likes this.
  6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I assumed you had deliberately written day goo .
    Quite appropriate really .

8. aspensquiver_2

aspensquiver_2 Senior commenter

Less popular colours are reduced. Black, hardly ever.

9. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

It amazes me that any manufacturer bothers to make red or orange sofas, go into a furniture store and there's always a reduced one.

10. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

A point usually understood before school leaving age.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  11. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not unusual.

12. Yoda-

Yoda- Lead commenter

I seem to have missed this colour themed wind up, until now in my life.

I suppose I should be glad.

depositphotos_7902811-Four-Cartoon-teddy-bears-different-colour.jpg

13. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Why do the masses have to fall for all the gubbins that babies supposedly need?.I appreciate we are proud of the offspring..... but we must have new and the best and the latest.I have tw booster seats in my conservatory and cant even sell them at any sale because they are secondhand. They abandon prams,pushchairs,cots,and strollers and toys around here in the street and 100's of pound is wasted as it goes in the crusher.

InkyP, cissy3 and Lascarina like this.
  14. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

Only the midfle classes buy baby stuff second hand.

aspensquiver_2 likes this.
  15. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Try buying prom dresses for your daughter in the sale! What a fruitless Saturday we had this weekend. Lots of garish colours or peach/ pale pink dresses in size 22. Miss Piggy look anyone? Anything black or blue was either out of my price range or a size 6.

Yoda- likes this.
  16. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We bought the pram system for my grandson and apart from the newborn part, the rest is still in use. Much of the other equipment was either from eBay, the local NCT or other used sites. Clothes were presents, or loaned by friends. As several have babies, there's plenty of recycling going on.

There are some items like mattresses you have to have new though.

@marymoocow, your post brought back harsh memories. I cannot tell you how many shopping trips took place and how many dresses were tried on.

I attended several prom nights at my school and was alarmed at the money spent on some of those outfits.

17. marymoocow

I know one not particularly well off parent has spent near £600!! That's double the cost of my wedding dress!

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

My wife was luck.she had a mother who was a good seamstress. She made the dresses for her and the bridesmaids.

19. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

It wasn't just the dress though. There's hair, make up, spray tan, shoes and transport. I can see how £600 is spent. Madness though! Even if I had the money, I wouldn't be spending that.

20. marymoocow

Fortunately my Daughter has simple tastes. She has bought a handbag with her own money in the sales, all of £10, shoes will be from somewhere like New Look, she detests Spray Tans, is good at her own make up, an ex hairdresser friend will be doing her hair and we have a nice car to drive her and friends there.