1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Its 11PM and ive finished for the night

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Robfreeman, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

I'm at a really nice supportive school. My line manager is outstanding my colleagues are top notch. The staff room the last 2 weeks has started to get some of the banter back to.

Seriously no lie this is what my place is like.

I have just sat here marking tests and got to the point after doing the whole classes, only 1 student it would appear has read the questions.
    1. What happens to the temperature of a can of lemonade when it is taken out of the fridge?
    Most answers: It got colder.

They read half the question and answered seems a common trait. Now I know this is my fault, I am ultimately responsible, its a struggle to get anything done with them, reading today. Did you read the page first

Student: Yes
    Me: whats the title on the page
    Student: didn't read it

I feel a total failiure that these students are regressing and now just wanted to write it somewhere. We need an anonymous confession area.

I just want to leave, for months I have felt like I'm failing, the marking may be happening some planning is to but I'm just not doing it right. I don't want to be the person still going on at 11pm if that's what I need to do everynight then this is a profession I don't wish to be in. However I think most of it is my fault, I'm not planning sufficiently engaging and different activities. Mainly because I don't want to spend 40 minutes cutting out a 5 minute card sort. I'm avoiding the books and trying to do most through modelling and demo work. It isn't working.

I just feel a useless failure. I have finally said it.

2. drek

drek Star commenter

No it is not your 'fault' students can't read. They are going from lesson to lesson, with teachers moving them from one card sort activity to role play to actioning words and a hundred other 'fast paced' nonsense as coached by the system.

Are the children allowed to 'read' for any length of time regularly?

God forbid. They might find it boring! So stop blaming yourself.

As long as the current performance leaves you in no control of your lessons with every tom dick and harry advising you on what a 'good lesson' should look like.

Stop blaming yourself! One teacher on handing her resignation after one too many a hoop jump, spent three months teaching them the way she was taught many years ago.
    No entertaining the students every second of the lesson. They may have complained but they improved without the teacher staying up all night producing plans with consultant type strategies and buzzwords splashed all over them!

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Please don't fall for the lie of Teacher Input = Pupil Output.

The failure lies with them!

Mrsmumbles and petenewton like this.
  4. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Drek says it how it is. It's the students fault that they haven't read the question not the teachers.

Oh and when I was a student there were times when I read the question wrong, misinterpreted it etc. Who did I blame? Me not my poor teacher. This blame the teacher culture needs to stop.

Oh and what is it with all this nonsense with card sorts (that take ages to set up) - what benefit is it? Children need to be trained to concentrate and listen.

In my last few weeks of teaching I taught how I liked and do you know something, the kids liked it, they told me so. Maybe it was because they were getting the same old dirge of card sorts or similar from me.

5. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

weren't

6. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

Maybe I've got it lucky as a Cover Supervisor, the standard work set is nearly always "Read pages 26-7 and answer the questions". This sort of noddy-level stuff is often just what is needed after flash-card overuse. It does explain why even awkward classes often just settle down and get gently bored.

Of course this work is guaranteed RI.

7. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I expect this is just a misunderstanding of what their answer means. They probably mean it has got colder as a result of being in the fridge. ie when you take a can of lemonade out of the fridge you will find it has got colder (than it was before you put it in).

8. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Don't give the blighters the opportunity to misunderstand the question.

A can of lemonade was in the fridge for X hours. When I took it out of the fridge it felt very cold. I did not drink the lemonade or put it back in the fridge. After X length of time I felt the can of lemonade again.

Q. What happened to the temperature of this can of lemonade after it had been out of the fridge for X length of time?

Kids of today don't know they're born. Cans of lemonade? Fridges? Spoiled, the lot of them....:)

Mrsmumbles and HelenREMfan like this.
  9. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Like others have written, I too spent my last 3 months teaching 'properly'!!

The question of answering questions and reading first always lead to a bit of fun on my part. I wrote a list of questions which began with quite sensible requests-who wrote....... quote the next line.......etc. As the test went on the questions became more bazaar-stand up and move to the nearest empty chair, Shout out your birth date. The last question was 'Answer questions 1 + 3 only then sit in silence without making any form of content with another student'. At the top of the page was the usual 'Read all questions before you write anything'.

The vast majority fell for it every time!! The best response was from a not-very-able year 11 lad who jumped out of his seat shouting, 'I don't believe I've fallen for this again!! She gave us this just before the year 9 exams. How could I be so stupid?'

How indeed!!

Don't kill yourself, your health is precious and must be guarded at all costs.

marlin, cate_h, oHelzo and 1 other person like this.
  10. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Lovely set of questions, @Dragonlady30 ! I really enjoyed that. :)

Best wishes

11. jago123

jago123 Established commenter

What have your observations been like? If they are positive, then there is no concern, however if, negative there will be issues.
    Do you have TA support in your room? What is your Classroom management skills like? How can I make my lessons more interesting for my pupils?
    These are the questions you need to be asking yourself.
    If you don't have TA support, talk to the SEN Manager about it.
    If your classroom management skills could be better, take all advice on board.
    If your lessons are classified as 'boring' by pupils, what can you do to make them more interesting. More interactivity perhaps.
    Opportunities are endless.

12. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Thank you!! Nothing like some practical lessons to stir up the natives!! :D

13. oHelzo

oHelzo Occasional commenter

Have you spent time around questioning/ language for your subject? Looking at investigative questions to motivate pupils to find out/ want to know more and the language of questions and incorporating test/ exam/ assessment questions. Encourage curiosity and all that.

Frustrating as it is to appear to teach to the test, it does teach some useful life and literacy skills and a stepping stone to independent learning.