1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Itchy feet - but only at night

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by gorgybaby, Aug 23, 2011.

1. I am a chronic insomniac. The sleep issue is usually better during the holidays, for obvious reasons. This holiday it has been awful, I have only slept through for 3 or 4 nights. Am currently exhausted! The last 2 nights the whole thing has been compounded by really itchy feet. On the top of my feet not in between the toes or anywhere else. Reall itchy - had to get up and scratch them really hard, and of course I was worried then about damaging the skin No rash, no lesions, no fleas, no nothing that I can see at all. Any ideas, peeps?

2. I'm afraid I can't offer a solution or anything but just thought I'd pop in and tell you that you're not on your own. I've had this, on and off, for a couple of years now. I think they must itch in my sleep as well because I've woken up a few times with bloody feet and sheets (I just ripped the tops of my feet to shreds).
    I've tried anti-itch creams, changing the detergents/shower stuff I use and a few other things. The anti-itch cream does seem to calm it down enough to allow me to sleep if I'm really tired.
    I suppose that, perhaps, I ought to see a doctor about it!

3. I itch too when I can't sleep. I think it's just heightened consciousness and absence of other distraction. My foot's never in the right spot, my hair's on my face, is that a lump in my breast? That toenail's clicking th sheet. I need a wee.

4. joli2

joli2 New commenter

That made me laugh Lily.
    I can't offer any insight into why your feet should be itchy on top - too hot? But I currently have very dry, itchy skin all over and have to use heavy moisturiser before I go to bed. On bad nights I also take a piriton tablet. It has the added bonus of making me sleepy.

5. Not feet, but lower legs and I itch them until they bleed sometimes and of course the more you scratch, the more they itch. My solution has been to use the wet moisturising method. Each time I shower, I smother my legs in moisturiser while they are still wet, it has made a significant difference, now if only I could stop wringing my hands in my sleep....

6. Ooooo that's a good idea.
    I googled it and diabetes or eczema were what came up.

7. I was a bit worried about diabetes but in the last couple of nights it really improved - maybe it was just a bit hot or something. It was extreme, though, and whyonlyat night??. I also wondered if it could be connested with drink as I had had a glass of wine - but I had two last night and it was OK. I like the idea of a piriton - might that work for you,Poeme? Trouble is, you don't think about these things really. This is gross but I resorted to a scratchy hair brush. It is the one Mr Gorgy uses, so it doesn't matter.

8. BAD BAD Gorgy. NO scratching with hairbrushes.
    Have you tried hydrocortisone cream that you can get for eczema at the chemist's?

9. I didn't use mine, I told you! I have Daktacort - could try that? I had a tiny weeny patch of excema behnd my knees and I think I was given Daktacort for that. It was certainly better last night - doesn't sound half as bad as Poeme's, anyway.

10. I hadn't thought about Piriton - good suggestion. I'll give it a go tonight.
    See, I've never had excema and can't see anything different about the skin. Sometimes my feet swell up a bit on the tops there and I've had swollen ankles sometimes too. I've had borderline diabetes now and then since I was 15, my GP is certain that I'll end up with it at some point, so I might get my sugar levels tests.
    I've had to resort to going to bed with socks on my hands to stop myself from scratching. It has occasionally been as itchy during the day too, but only rarely.
    So, it looks like we're going to try pills and/or lotions 'n' potions tonight then does it, gorgybaby?
    I'll pop back here tomorrow to see if you got a good nights sleep [​IMG]