1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Italy in the summer

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moonpenny, Oct 13, 2010.

1. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

Any suggestions for nice hotels either on the Venitian rivieria (so we can visit Venice ) or around Sorrento (Capri and Pompei)
    Been looking and spotted:
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g187782-d291098-Reviews-Grand_Hotel_De_La_Ville-Sorrento_Campania.html
    http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580246-d314797-Reviews-Hotel_Principe_Palace-Jesolo_Lido_Veneto.html

I was thinking of booking a package holiday as I have usually found that easiest and not sure if it would be much cheaper to book things separately?

Thanks,

2. We stayed at the Capidomonte in Sorrento (same chain as your first) and it was wonderful. Just off the main road from town and slightly up hill but it had fantastic views over the bay. Meals at night were worth it just for the view. A bit pricey but I thought it was worth it. The pool is smaller than you might think but the different levels give some degree of privacy. Would think about going again and have thought about the De LA Ville.
    Have also stayed on the Lido de Jesolo but not that hotel so cannot comment specifically. Was nice enough and a great beach, but overall I think we preferred Sorrento.
    Do you have kids?

3. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

Hi Dande,
    I do have kids but they will be staying with their dad. We are taking them to a cottage in Cornwall for the other week which I have already booked so it will just be the 2 of us.
    I had really faniced Venice but I was talking to my mum last night and she said what about Sorrento so that got me thinking as I have been to Venice but have never been to Southern Italy.

I would like somewhere with nice food but I am veggie so maybe a buffet would suit me better?
    I ate really well at a hotel we went to in Thassos last year though which was a buffet type thing.

Anyway will google your suggestion -thanks very much

4. I don't know if you will find many places in Italy that offer buffet style dining, or maybe in 3* as opposed to 4* places. As a veggie, how strict are you? I.e. are you a veggie who still eats fish? Lots of great cafes and restaurants that will cater to your needs in sorrento, so you could always look for a break that is B&B rather than half board.

5. While I haven't been to Venice for many years these two were my favourite hotels:
    http://www.grittipalace.info/
    http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/hotels/venice_excelsior_palace.htm

wonderful wonderful memories - I'm jealous!

6. I say in Venice every year (at this time of year) Going on Friday - and try different places - all of which have been lovely. I'll email you.
    This year we are staying at a hotel on the Lido, it's easy for the airport because the water bus goes direct. It's always really busy at any time of year but obviously in the summer it's full to bursting. Veggie is no problem in Italy, though I've never stayed anywhere in Italy that does buffet (except breakfast) and I've been there at least once a year every year for the last goodness knows how many.

7. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

My take - choose a hotel that is actually in Venice rather than on the Lido. Being able to wander out of the hotel and straight into the city is amazing.

8. Good point Mandala - but it's a good plan too to try and take a water bus for a good tour around the islands.

9. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

Would agrre about staying in Venice- it's a wonderful environment.
    I've only stayed in hotals on a Band B basis, as I like to seek restaurants off the tourist trail. As another veggie, I've always found Italy the least problematic when it comes to having a choice from the menu.
    Have a great stay in'Bella Italia'.

10. I think the OP was thinking more about staying on the Lido de Jesolo on more of a package holiday that on the island of Lido.

11. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

Hi everyone, (Hi firegirl :) )
    It is a hard choice, I love Venice and love the idea as Mandala says of being in the centre of Venice. I have stayed in the centre of Venice before. We just had B and B and went out to eat in the evenings which worked.
    However, As Dande rightly says, I am after a sort of beachy/ cultural restful summer holiday, reading books on sunloungers but having access to some art and cullture as well.
    I have also stayed in hotels in Northern Italy and found them not to be that good for Veggie food I once got mash potato with an egg on top...lol.
    Where as,in Greece, the buffets are great for veggies with loads of different salads.
    I really like the hotel Dande suggested in Sorrento and am now thinking 1950's .....convertible,sun, headscarfs blowing against the wind, glamour and sunglasses,,zooming round hairpin bends, beautiful vistas below, shimmering sea.....
    Anyway, I love the whole thing of looking at places and chosing somewhere to stay so I will enjoy looking through your suggestions and anymore suggestions would be very welcome. It's always a bit of an anti-climax when I finally book somewhere.
    Thanks!

12. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

Are you set on area? I found Sicily to be wonderful and we went on a package through Thomas Cook x

13. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

Thanks, FG - have a lovely time x

14. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

No I'm not, I have never been to Sicily - any links for accommodation? :)

15. Have emailed you.
    Agree with the poster above about Sicily too, Cefalu is lovely.
    I think that film that 'mama mia' is based on was filmed on the Amalfi coast, that's all headscarfs and convertables... About a woman with a child and three prospective fathers.. all US GIs - O what on EARTH was it called?

16. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

Yes, I stayed in a lovely 4* hotel in Tuscany and the food choce was really embarassing every evening was a real strain! i.e the mashed potato with the egg on top.lol. served in a really posh way as well. I had to look really pleased when I was actually horrified.

17. moonpenny

moonpenny New commenter

That sound idyllic - just what I am looking for, although I didn't see the film.

18. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

We were on a tight budget so stayed here:
    http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g187892-d264901-Reviews-Villa_Bianca_Resort-Taormina_Sicily.html
    http://www.thomascook.com/destinations/italy/sicily/mazzaro/villa-bianca-hotel/;jsessionid=B8FD95565D58BE8CF28E65FD8B211DF5.appa12b?eachAccomId=prod550485&propositionId=8200017&resortId=12707428&eachAccomName=Villa+Bianca+Hotel&subResortName=mazzaro&destName=italy&destinationId=11600724&resortName=Sicily

view was fabulous and the food was good, was a choice from set menu rather than a buffet.
    Was just below Taormina on the coast and next to the cable car taking you up to the main area. If you want to do Mt Etna differently you can go Quad biking around there (or on horseback too I think) on a Monday (we missed this as only found out on the day after!)
    The Taormina amplitheare has some great concerts on and is a stunning venue. Great ice cream shop that was to die for too. If I won the lotto I'd be importing it! x

19. Have to agree with the view - simply wonderful, especially after the walk up the hill!
    Have you given any thought to doing a coach tour? You can do one with cosmos that covers Venice, Rome and Florence. However accommodation can be a bit hit and miss but was good value even in the height of summer.
    From the Lido de Jesolo you can catch a bus then a ferry into Venice but does take around an hour and in the summer can be very warm and sticky.
    In Sorrento you have relatively easy access to Pompeii and Capri is also close by.
    Can you tell I could murder a holiday?

20. Have you looked at Ravello or Amalfi instead of Sorrento? I got married in Ravello this summer and it was just wonderful! It is just like something from a film You can then visit Sorrento/ Capri/ Positano from there. Not great for beaches (but then neither is Sorrento) but if you stay in a hotel with a pool then you can lounge, or there is Minori and Maori nearby as well. If you go in the summer they also have an outdoor music festival in Ravello as well.