1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Italy covers up

Discussion in 'Personal' started by artboyusa, Jan 27, 2016.

1. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Attached Files:

magic surf bus likes this.
  2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I'm guessing a state visit to Pompeii's Lupanare Grande is out of the question as well.

cissy3 likes this.
  3. burajda

burajda Star commenter

[​IMG]
    Christians objected to nude statues in a garden centre in Tennessee leading to the owners having to cover them up. Why should those of us who appreciate art have to kowtow to these religious fundamentalists?

silvaran, lanokia and cissy3 like this.
  4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

I thought it was a modern art installation.

Some funky idea whereby you have a fusion of classical statuary and an enclosed shower cubicle. I'm really onto something there, you know. I'll be awarded the Turner Prize next year, I'll bet.

The garden centre looks like a rather coy bondage theme.

How very stupid.

Why did the ridiculous man not stay at home?

cissy3 likes this.
  5. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

[​IMG]

They should've churned out some of the above.

''The plaster cast of a fig leaf, half a metre high, was made in London soon after the statue’s arrival and attached to the statue to spare the blushes of visiting female dignitaries.''

http://www.vam.ac.uk/content/articles/d/davids-fig-leaf/

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  6. Annarosa1

Annarosa1 Occasional commenter

A few planks round some statues is a small price to pay if we want some idiot's custom.

7. burajda

burajda Star commenter

China has just signed billions of dollars worth of trade deals with Iran, I'm sure when the Iranian leader comes to London Cameron will brown nose and appease the Human Rights abusers enormously as him and the royals always have done with the objectionable Chinese and Saudis

cissy3 likes this.
  8. cissy3

cissy3 Star commenter

I wonder what the French will do?

From the link:

''Italy also chose not to serve wine at official meals, a gesture France, where Mr Rouhani travels next, has refused to copy.''

9. grumpydogwoman

I wonder if (having found out Cameron loves a bit of pork) they serve him sausages when he goes to Iran? Make him feel welcome.

10. FritzGrade

FritzGrade Senior commenter

You think pork is widely available in Iran?

11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Bet it's like alcohol in the UAE... led down dusty corridors into the secret bacon pantry!

12. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

He'll get his on room service.

[​IMG]

13. silvaran

silvaran Occasional commenter

You can get anything in the Islamic Republic. But alcohol is difficult and expensive so its probably why Iran has such a massive heroin addiction problem.

14. Vince_Ulam

Iran's difficulties in this are because it is the first country along the road from Afghanistan to all points West.

15. grumpydogwoman

I shouldn't think it is widely available. That's my point, you see. Making a special effort to make a guest feel welcome. Going the extra mile. Doing something you wouldn't usually do. Like Italy and the statues?
    :rolleyes:

16. silvaran

silvaran Occasional commenter

true, but for Tehran suburbanites these days its not likely to be heroin or opium but the far more addictive 'glass' Crystal meth

17. Vince_Ulam

Even if true, causally unlinked to alcoholic sobriety.

18. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

All religious fundamentalists?