1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It seems that no current education issues affect FE

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by cosmos, Mar 22, 2012.

1. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Get off your high horse cosmos, there are loads of issues in every College: redundancy, replacement of lecturers with trainers, pension, working hours, pay, terms and conditions. In some FE colleges staff are probably scared to even pop on here anonymously because they are monitored constantly, and/or do not have time to come and moan on here.

2. Oh stop being so sanctimonious jacob. There is no need to participate if you don't want to.

3. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

If you want an argument, you get one here. Try rereading your first post, and then think how other people might interpret it. There is no rudeness. How do you read rudeness into it? It is not narrative. Accuse soemone of rudeness when you don't like what you read. Just shows you up as an <strike>intellectual</strike> coward. Are you one of these people who reads all sorts of emotional input in e-mails?

4. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Here it is in its entirety. What did you expect, a tea party?

5. Of course I don't want a tea party! I don't expect everyone to agree with me. I just didn't appreciate being told to get off a high horse I hadn't in fact mounted.
    I was trying, obviously naively, to get some discussion going - voila tout. If people don't want to, I am happy to bow out.

6. Actually - I thought we had - joined in that is.

7. Ignore me chatolee - I am just being a grump.
    Sorry to jacob too - have had an 'interesting' couple of days and you were in the firing line....
    [​IMG]

8. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Well thanks for that. There are huge issues in FE, but I wonder if a lot of potential posters are just trying to keep their heads down, hoping to hang on until they can retire, and hoping that one of the giant mountains of **** coming our way does not land on their desk. Personally I have had enough, but I can't afford to retire yet, otherwise I'd be gone. Like many I guess we all keep wishing for that lottery win.....

9. There are lots of things that annoy me about education in general, I tried to type a post making a list but it was looking like it would be 6 foot long so I deleted it. Despite this, I know that every morning I enjoy walking through the doors at work, and dealing with the challenges that face me. As long as that remains the case I will keep doing it, I consider it a luxury that lots of people don't have.

The reason for it is; working with fabulous teams of people, being fortunate in having great management, in general the students I teach want to be there and are lovely people (not all of course), I get to teach fun and interesting material to an array of levels etc.

I know that I would NEVER want to work in a primary of secondary. Not only would all of the things I hate about education come to the forefront but I haven't trained for years in my subject area not to be able to use and stretch that skill. Teaching someone 3 notes on the recorder for a term is not my idea of fun, even if they were to be able to play them very, very, well!

For me the good outweighs the bad, and there will be bad with any job. Some teachers on this fora drive me insane, I have times when I duck in and out of posting. Teaching is just a job, a hard and exhausting job but a job nonetheless.Those that seem to think that they save the world and should be paid an utter fortune for it are sadly mistaken

I think in general FE teachers are more chilled, the ones i've met in real life and the ones on these boards certainly seem to demonstrate that.
    OFSTED? To me is just another of the stupid quality systems that education is drowning under.

10. being fortunate in having great management,
    That's the secret Jenny! It is the reason I finally bailed out after ten years of loving my job and even the students.....most of them.
    When you endure mergers and redundancies and you see really good lecturers forced out and frankly incompetent ones kept, you begin to wonder when your turn is coming. The climate of fear that kept people dumb with their heads down is what made me jump ship in the end.
    I have been lucky enough to get a (very) part time job in another college with a completely different atmosphere so I know not all colleges are bad.

should be paid an utter fortune
    Ha ha - would never have gone into FE if that was what was important to me!

11. I'm sorry to hear that Cosmos.

I also think it's down to the people in general, not just management I'm very lucky with my teams in that they are lovely people who have passion for their subjects, just want to do a good job and work very hard. We are all good at having a work/life balance, besides, I do a sweep of the staff room at 5.00 and if I see any of my team I remind them that it's 'home time' and that whatever they are doing can wait until tomorrow.

There are others I see who I genuinely feel sorry for, who's lives seem to revolve around whether they have met the most recent deadline. If you have a room full of people that haven't found the work/life balance then you're in trouble, it's unnecessarily stressful. Bad management just aggravate this by giving unreasonable deadlines to staff who are already nearly at breaking point. That whole process doesn't get anyone anywhere, it's like watching a car crash in slow motion.

Lol I meant on some of the other fora. Whenever there are threads about workload/strikes etc, there are a whole raft of posters that seem to think they personally are a crucial cog in keeping the world turning. Yes, we work hard and have the opportunity to change young lives but some people take themselves and their work way too seriously. I'm a grafter, and at times I have to put in all the hours god sends to get through my workload but I won't let it intrude on my weekend with my child.

12. Wish you had been my team leader jenny! Mine used to poke off at 4.35 and she never popped her head round the office door - just in case there were probems! Consequently I, and the others she "controlled" were often left floundering in the dark with no support. She would never be available to help with difficult students and was very quick to blame others for her c0ckups. She wouldn't answer her phone and seldom replied to emails.
    Actually, it had the effect of making us very self sufficient and capable so we usually left her out of the loop. Great fun at divisional meetings!
    Funnily enough, she's still there....which just goes to show you don't have to be good at your job to be kept on.

13. You are a cynic,Cosmos and the IfL can help with this too.

14. Ooh, do tell me how the IfL can help with incompetent programme leaders and under qualified management; the systematic process of getting rid of older and better qualified lecturers; the culture of fear that prevails in so many colleges; the policy of taking students no matter how disturbed and disruptive they are.....
    Please barneybeans.......do tell.

15. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Considering the numbers of people involved, as stated earlier in this string, I think the FE sector punches above its weight in this forum.
    However, I would like to see the moaning and whinging kept mainly in the "opinion" and "have your say" areas as I presume that is what they are for. I have come here in the past and successfully sought professional advice and sometimes one just has to get on with the job. I can't always spend the time being side tracked and I don't really welcome being pushed into a black mood. I visit the other areas of the forum when I want to run that gamut.
    Umm-m, on this one I break my own rule about moaning and have to agree with cosmos!