1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It seems that no current education issues affect FE

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by cosmos, Mar 22, 2012.

1. This forum is deadly dull. It seems to consist solely of people asking for help which, quite frankly they could easily do for themslves.
    Look at what is happening with OFSTED for example- does that not affect FE at all? Is noone concerned by no notice observations?
    How many of you are desperately wishing you could get out but can't for whatecver reason?
    If you look at the Opinion forum it is full of teachers discussing, moaning, whingeing about educational issues. Here.......nothing.
    Come on......there is more to FE than please give me your resources......not always please either, but that is another matter.
    No wonder FE is so overlooked - it seems to be full of people who have no wider interests.
    Cosmos stands back and awaits abuse....[​IMG]

2. This forum is deadly dull. It seems to consist solely of people asking for help which, quite frankly they could easily do for themslves.
    Look at what is happening with OFSTED for example- does that not affect FE at all? Is noone concerned by no notice observations?
    How many of you are desperately wishing you could get out but can't for whatecver reason?
    If you look at the Opinion forum it is full of teachers discussing, moaning, whingeing about educational issues. Here.......nothing.
    Come on......there is more to FE than please give me your resources......not always please either, but that is another matter.
    No wonder FE is so overlooked - it seems to be full of people who have no wider interests.
    Cosmos stands back and awaits abuse....[​IMG]

3. Your post made me chuckle. Perhaps FE teachers are a relatively contented bunch (ducks and runs for cover).

I have been lurking on this forum for a while as I have been engineering a career change from business to education. I have just been offered a post as a fractional lecturer of English within Functional Skills and whilst I am sure it will be very demanding and I will be doing my fair share of panicking, I am really excited and looking forward to it.

The college I will be working for is very highly rated and the (few) staff that I have met thus far have been very friendly and passionate about teaching which will go a long way towards making it a rewarding job.

The FE fora do seem very quiet; could this simply reflect a smaller number of people working full-time in the sector compared to across Secondary and Primary? I have no idea but it will be interesting to hear from "proper" FE teachers in response to your poking...

4. Grrrr! my paragraphs have disappeared. I will now conform to Cosmos's characterisation of an FE teacher and seek help to avoid this in the future!

5. Thank you for your response Hullite - and such a polite one too!
    I don't think the problem is one of too few posters, there is quite a number of them here, rather one of apathy....or lack of interest.....or too busy keeping heads down...whatever the reason it is a shame so few are prepared to talk about life in FE.
    Anyway, congratulations on your new appointment. I am glad you seem to have found a good college. Some are dire.......
    PS - haven't a clue about paragraphs!

6. itgeek

itgeek New commenter

Most staff in FE probably have not got time if they are teaching 27 hours a week !

7. A really good post - so I thought I would join in and do some moaning!
    I would LOVE to get out and I'm sure I could, if only I could figure out what other jobs I would like to do / be good at.
    I currently work on Foundation Learning and I am sick to death of the lack of responsibility the students take for their own learning. If they don't attend I am expected to ring them constantly until they come back to sessions. If they don't attend I am expected to to chase them and hound them until they produce the work required. If they don't attend, it's still my fault when my achievement rate isn't hitting target.
    Whilst I understand it is my job to help the students and support them to achieve, surely it's not my job to have to spoonfeed them so much? What on earth will happen to them when (if...?) they ever start work? I can't decide if it makes me mad, or sad, or both.

8. Most staff in FE probably have not got time if they are teaching 27 hours a week
    Good point. However, trainer/assessors have a 30 hour week. Is that fair? In my college many TAs were lecturers with attendant responsibilities, then found themselves downgraded with a longer teaching week and fewer holidays. Even worse, some lecturers, fully qualified lecturers, found that if they wanted to hold onto a job had to accept an Instructor position - again, longer hours, fewer holidays and considerably less money adding insult to injury.
    Colleges can do this because if you teach animal care or construction for example, where else do you go? They have you over a barrel.

9. Your post made me laugh rubygirl......sort of!
    The bums on seats policy means that at lower levels you take anything with a pulse. Entry requirements are minimal so you are forced to take kids who really don't have the aptitude for further education. But God help you if you don't get them to pass!

10. Hear, hear!
    Extremely but as I currently teach in a workplace which OFSTED couldn't give two hoots about, I won't be losing any sleep over no notice OFSTED observations.
    Not I because of the point above!
    That's because the 'proper' tes teachers on here think that FE teachers and issues are not worth their attention!
    Agreed.
    That's right because they're too busy being flogged to death by managers who expect them to work 24/7 everyday with no extra pay, so that they can meet their 'teaching hour targets' which consist of 'reasonable hours' determined by managers 'who decide when they can go home'! [​IMG]
    Oh and when that's done, they have to attend a Cee Pee Dee session with SMTs graded as inadequate lecturing them on how to 'raise their games'.
    This is why I'm being extremely picky about which College I will work in next!
    Cosmos for President of the FE forums! [​IMG]
    *awaits response and election speech from cosmos*

11. No, no....no manifesto, no election speech!

they have to attend a Cee Pee Dee session with SMTs graded as inadequate lecturing them on how to 'raise their games'
    That raised a yessss! and a groan. We once had an internal observation, SMT included. Funnily enough, they all got a grade 1 [​IMG] I was co-teaching with one of them....it wasn't even close to a grade 1.
    Ok, so now we have a few on board, rather than have a scattergun approach to 'ishoos', is there any one topic people want to bang on about?......who knows, we could even have separate threads in due course!
    [​IMG] just to keep you all sweet!

12. cariadwch

cariadwch Established commenter

About 30,000 schools in the UK
    About 300 FE colleges
    That means FE is about 1% of the size of the school sector....so yes, it equates to virtually nothing in comparison.
    But theres a few FE bods on the Opinion forum too but even more who have never taught anywhere.

13. welshskyline

welshskyline New commenter

Extremely but as I currently teach in a workplace which OFSTED couldn't give two hoots about..........

ps12 - not sure what you mean by this - could you please explain?

14. I thought that information would intrigue you. ;-)
    I work for an exam coaching company which OFSTED doesn't give a hoot about because it's technically a private business (This is not the same as a private tutor agency, btw because I do group classes both on Saturdays and during holidays as well as individual tuition during term time, if required).

15. Now that shows that OFSTED are a lazy bunch! They should, but never do, observe all aspects of education. I have never been observed teaching an evening class or weekend classes for example. Not that I am complaining btw.
    I honestly think OFSTED the biggest waste of time and money. My biggest gripe is being observed by someone who has never taught at the level I teach - Entry and Level 1. They are clueless about how these kids work. They also expect me to teach adults in the same way I teach 16/17 year olds. Adults love being made to work in groups playing with post it notes and changing activities every 20 minutes........yeah right.
    There is no flexibility, no understanding of how FE works. *cosmos frothing at the mouth*
    Thay are id iots.

16. If 30 000 schools don't have the clout to stand up to OFSTED, what hope do 300 colleges have?

17. I don't know about OFSTED because the colleges and schools that I've worked in weren't inspected until after I'd left, so I have no personal experience of OFSTED. What I have had though are observations by silly managers who think that a couple of in-house observation workshops have given them the ability to read OFSTED's mind! I'm so glad that I no longer have to hear the frequent declaration of you could be observed during this week at any time and this is what OFSTED wants and what OFSTED wants changes according to the latest cee pee dee course that my expert OFSTED mind reader managers have attended! According to these managers, I don't do differentiation or I write it on my lesson plan but don't always do it, so because they don't see it, it doesn't count, my lesson plans and schemes of work are not good enough for a trained monkey to 'deliver' my lessons for me if so required (so I don't do proper ppa) and I must use the words 'some', 'all' and 'few' when writing objectives/outcomes (or whatever the latest term is) if I want to be graded as good or better for my students' learning (not teaching-learning). Oh, I must also use a certain lesson planning format too (even it if it is an online, unwieldy piece of bunkum!)
    As you say, there is no flexibility or understanding of how broad a context FE is! As you say, the good characteristics of an A-level Psychology lesson (what I teach) is very different to the good characteristics of a good level 1 vocational lesson. Which is why vocational and A-level teachers have different subject qualifications and professional qualifications in addition to the teaching ones! We'd all get on a great deal better if these *** stayed away from our classrooms and used the time and energy they waste on laying into already overworked staff over these petty and pointless issues to address the real issues affecting student learning and progress-their running of the college (or rather the lack of it!)!
    *also foams at mouth* [​IMG]

18. I couldn't agree more - my adult learners really like the way I teach - I know because they keep telling me!
    One learner told me that he changed from another numeracy class because he didn't want to stand in lines for two weeks whilst they sorted out place value.
    My Scheme of Work is flexible - I react to what my learners require, so if they want to spend longer on the conversions between fractions, decimals and percentages, for example, then we do so. I feel like the bag lady when I take a class because I have resources for E2 - L2 learners, extension and additonal resources if they are required.
    But a lot of my work is done from the board in a variety of ways - bringing in test questions that relate to the topic we are studying and we work through the best way to understand and answer these questions - not just getting them to do whole practice tests, although they do those too.
    I'm just starting my Level 5 numeracy qualification and will have four teaching observations. I've already told my tutor the way I work and her comment was that if I have the resources for the learners and I adapt to suit their requirements, not mine, then that is fine for her - but probably not for the strict constraints of OFSTED.
    I think my results speak for themselves - in 18 months, over a variety of courses, I have had six fails - three by a couple of marks and most of them passed second time round. I know what I shall stick to.

19. I've worked in Primary & Secondary - but more in an observation role as my interest is E & D. I much prefer FE.
    Having previously worked with food, I was inspected without warning. I never found it an issue, as I was either doing things right or wrong! However, with education, it seems that perhaps you can't have an academic conversation with the inspector? The issues are one of paperwork.... (try being audited at no notice, or having the tax inspector delve 7 years into your past!!!) .... yet education & the way a person learns is highly contested [​IMG]
    I find that planning makes my job easier, but it is done in my own time. That's coming from someone who hates paperwork & someone who never thought she'd be doing it for a living!

20. I find that planning makes my job easier, but it is done in my own time.
    I think we all find that bren. There is however a limited amount of time available during the working day for planning and virtually none if you are teaching 30 hours a week. Most of it does happen in our own time.
    My biggest beef was the awarding body changing the syllabus so that all the previous year's resources were virtually useless, but not making it available until a couple of weeks before the start of the new year ( and on one memorable occasion, 2 weeks afterwards). Planning went out of the window - it was a matter of scrabbling through each day, cobbling something together. That's why so few of us managed to take the October half term holiday..it was the only time to plan and create new resources.