1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It it time to bury the Dairy book of Home Cookery?

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by modelmaker, Mar 31, 2011.

1. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

I realise I might be contraversial here, but as I've been exploring various other aspects of my life that don't make a lot of sense, and this has today come up in our household, I thought it an opportuntune moment to run it past you, for your thoughts.
    Mrs modelmaker's brother and his family are coming this weekend to vist us, and this I am delighted to say has inspired her to get off her backside and do some cooking, for a change. I shalnt stand in her way, of course.
    She's decided to set herself the tasks of making a trifle for desert, and a cake for tea, and reached for the Dairy Book of Home Cookery for instructions.
    Presented with the list of ingredients she wanted for me to order for these along with the rest of our groceries, and the myriad of other things she apparently needs, found myself asking what's this for as I watched the total rising beyond affordability.
    "What's this cocao powder for? We never drink cocao..." I asked.
    "It's for the chocolate cake I'm making." She answered.
    "Sweety-tart, I replied, have you forgotten that time we had a French student stay with us who you said cooked the best chocolate cake you'd ever tasted? We watched him do it and bought the ingredients he'd asked for. From memory, it was half a dozen eggs, flour, sugar and a couple of bars of good black chocolate. Also I think, some cream. It was sublime. Why are you asking for cocao powder and sponge fingers, and all this other ****?
    And then I realised I was standing in her way, so I ordered them.
    I'm kicking myself from two corners. One for not standing my ground and the other for being insensitive to her desire to bake a cake from a recipe she'd feel comfortable with.
    Would I be wrong to start our next bonfire with this outdated book, should I sell it on ebay if they have a section on how we used to live, or should I keep it as a treasure for my grandchildrem?

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I have a Dairy Book of Home Management. Worth its weight in gold - well thumbed!
    Mother gave it to me back in the stone age when I first moved into my own cave.
    The book I really treasure (for comedy value) is an Isle of Wight WI cookery book (from the '30s). I t has dishes (for invalids), recipes without quantities, and ingredients that have fallen from common use.
    P

3. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I always have cocoa powder in the cupboard - I think its great. I don't really see the problem with it, MM.
    I have a cookery book (well, I suppose you could call it a cookery book) which my great-grandmother gave me after my father died. Its literally all the recipes she ever knew how to make in her own handwriting with little comments written here and there like 'your Uncle Gus's wife tried to make this once...she failed' in her slightly eccentric manner.
    I never, ever get it out when cooking - mainly because she taught me how to make them and I know from memory but its wonderful to look at (even if its very tatty) - Mr EG begs me to throw it away but I refuse to because of its emotional attachment.
    If this cookery book makes your wife happy MM, then let her keep it.

4. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

Quite right. If I spoke to my wife in such a condescending manner, there'd be a good chance of the book ending up somewhere it was never intended to go....or at least being used to biff me across the head!

5. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I'd just destroy one of my EG's guitars - that would be far more painful to him than sticking something somewhere unmentionable.

6. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

Nick, I've so far refrained from commenting on your acerbic replies to my posts, purely on the basis this forum has always been a haven for those of us that wish to express our views about a topic dear to our hearts without personal attacks, as is so frequent on the other forums.
    I could, in turn, plague your posts with suggestions you appear to have your head so firmly stuck up your arrse in the belief there is something particularly special to your own, personal cooking and dining experiences it's essential the world needs to share, but I won't.
    The simple fact is, you know nothing about me, or my darling wife or how we relate to each other. You don't seem to have a concept of attempting to take on the humour that underlies my posts. I'm not critical of you in this other than it's tedious and distracting.
    I will add that since you began your campaign of ridiculing my posts, I've posted far less about my kitchen activities and views of the food industry, the forum has become a lot slower and inevitably more boring. Not that I will suggest for a moment, I have anything particularly worthwhile for you or other to read, but things I've posted in the past acted as a catylist to prompt others to make wothwhile contributions.
    Give it a rest, for the sake of this forum or name your second and preferred weapon. If yours is the keyboard, wit and humour, we will have an equal contest. Could we do it elsewhere though?

7. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I don't have a campaign against you MM. Why would you think this? Where else have I ridiculed you? I don't always agree with you, but that's not ridiculing. I don't like to ridicule people as I think it's unfair and unfunny. You've ridiculed my own and others' posts in the past. I did, once, make a confrontational post in relation to something you once posted, for which I apologised and for which that apology remains intact. You've never done as such.
    Head up my ****? Nothing could be further from the truth. What's your evidence for this? Posting about my own cooking and dining experiences? Isn't this what you and everyone else does on the forum? Isn't that the one of the main purposes of the forum?
    You asked us to comment based on a conversation you had with your wife. I did. I wasn't rude or acerbic, nor did I make assumptions on your relationship with your wife - I wouldn't ever dare do such a thing - my comment was based entirely on what was typed in your post. It wasn't a personal attack so much as a comment on a publically reported event. If I missed the joke in all of this, then you'll have to explain it to me.
    I agree that arguing on a public space such as this peaceful little forum is tedious, though. So let's agree not to further anything here, and take up any further matters by personal messages. I have no desire to name any other 'weapon' incidentally.

8. Excuse me - I hadn't actually noticed you had posted less but I certainly haven't noticed that the forum has become slower and many of us post on all sorts of issues. I am not quite sure how you think you were the catylist that prompted discussion [​IMG]
    As to your original question - of course your wife should keep the book and bake from it, if that is what she wants to do. Some people like to cook from recipes, others don't. There are no rules as to what is right and what is wrong.