1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

It is so very sad that people who care are effectively abused within school systems..

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by anon3279, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Even though I'm going through such a situation, I am shocked that so many others are too. I was told this week, by someone who deals with some of the fall-out of these cases, that the only other profession that they deal with more than teaching is the NHS; another caring profession.
    I agree about the unions - mine is being so unsupportive that I've been advised by another agency to go to national level.

2. Hear, hear.

I have lost my health and career after being bullied by a colleague. I pride myself on still having my integrity, sadly that is all I have left at the moment but my fight goes on.

3. I agree with every word of this and am just sorry someone else is going through it. It's shocking. I really thought my union would fight my corner but the "advice" I paid for was to get another job. Luckily I did but the harrassment didn't stop and I have felt unsafe at work. That can't be right, surely?
    My only consolation, horrible as it is, is that I'm not alone. Other staff - senior staff, HODs and SENCOs and senior teachers and staff who have worked for years are being subjected to similar treatment. I think what we all have in common is that external factors have been twisted and used against us and it's despicable.
    I just can't understand how it's legal.

4. chriszwinter1

chriszwinter1 New commenter

Because they're all in it together and they close ranks. A DH wanted to do the right thing a few years ago until the HT asked him, "Who will be writing your reference when you apply for a headship?"
    I would.
    The senior managers I'm thinking of don't do that. They claim they do, but it's their careers that matter to them, nothing else.
    Because the managers I'm thinking of are clueless about solutions; so they blame everybody but themselves, or hide behind such platitudinous drivel as "good teaching", "nobody else has a problem with this pupil so it must be the way you organise your lessons", or "staff behaviour influences pupil behaviour". What influences pupil behaviour is the knowledge that they can get away with it.
    Proof at least as far as I'm concerned that the senior leader you mean isn't up to the job.

5. I wholeheartedly agree. Only a few years ago, I someone had described to me the situation in which I now find myself, I would thought it be a paranoid fantasy. My only 'crime' was to expect my redundancy money to be paid. For this, I have been through a tribunal process and twice been interviewed by the police. My situation seems to be going from Kafka to farce. A week ago, I received a summons to appear before Harrow magistrates, wihtout having previsouly being cautioned or charged. In the summons, the section relating to offenses alleged simply said 'to be specified at hearing'.' The solicitor thinks this might have made legal history, if she had not objected and got it withdrawn. The tragedy is, I do not know what I am supposed to have done, and neither can my solicitor find out either.

6. What is going on? In all the years I have taught I witnessed some teachers get away with extaordinary behaviour, completely unprofessional and then others are persecuted for minor mistakes like criminals. Has a third reich mentality taken hold?

7. To get out of paying us our redundancy money, the school is claiming that they have uncovered 'unprofessional conduct' and 'criminal acts', subsequent to our leaving. They started off by alleging that I had not told the school that I was taking in a part-time MA in a non education related subject.

8. I think more and more people are starting to speak out about this treatment and I don't think it will be long before there are some high profile bullying cases in education, which will hopefully open the floodgates. The amount of teacher bashing is increasing, and working conditions are getting worse, and I'm hopeful that the number of teachers that feel like this will soon reach critical mass.

I often think that there are a lot of jobs that are 'cut-throat' like this, bankers and lawyers I imagine are subject to similar amounts of bullying. But, that is by far outweighed by the salaries and other perks, whereas in teaching it isn't. It's also the only job I know where you're expected to put up with it because of 'vocation', and it's stated that if you don't like the treatment then you don't like the job enough.

9. I blog about this by the way, at The Edudicator, and I try to highlight on my social media feeds all the examples I can find of teachers being treated like this crying out for help.

10. Thanks- I've just looked at your website Edudicator and found it helped.

11. I'm the same. 10 years on, I'm still suffering. No-one cares.

12. casper

casper New commenter

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/reading/articles/2012/03/15/57983-headteacher-tells-tribunal-of-racist-playground-mafia/

Awful.

13. We do care Janet. It should be completely unlawful. You must be given protection from such abuses in teaching. It rebounds on almost everyone.

14. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

Jenny, your case has never ceased to utterly amaze me! The only ( albeit small unfortunately ) is that the people behind these tactics appear to be absolutely insane IMO so very unlikely to succeed under normal processes. What on earth will they consider next, I wonder?

15. Vampyria

Vampyria New commenter

Couldn't agree more! I would also add selfishness to that. In my experience, professional integrity has been severley lacking. The lengths some people will go to 1) to get what they want 2) to either absolve themselves of any responsibility even to the point of witnessing others being blamed for their actions or failures 3) take the credit for others' ideas etc has never ceased to astonish me over the years!
    The parting comment to one of my ex-colleagues who was involved in the bullying when I was leaving was that at least I was doing so with my integrity intact! In hindsight it was probably lost on her given her only concern was about not being found out-the impact of her actions on me were never a problem for her!
    On one occasion when I complained to 'management' again it was blatantly obvious they were more concerned about the repercussions on <u>them</u> as opposed to what I'd had to endure! One even asked me about who else I'd told about this!! Another who's 'silence' I'd earlier misinterpreted as being due to her being unsympathetic, I now know was for the same reasons!

16. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

I have to say that you have absolutely no chance of this happening in the future - in fact the very opposite will be the case. Teaching will no longer be a national profession with national pay scales, unions etc. Teachers will be powerless, cowering in small staff rooms completely unsupported; as in worse than now. This is the whole purpose of the curent government trying its best to finish off the Thatcher brief to ensure that teachers never raised their heads above the parapet again. Continued for them by the "Labour" government who were certainly no friends to teachers neither to bright working class children as they reinforced post code lottery schools (but not for their kids of course) So we will be left with isolated staff in schools subjected to the kind of bullying I read about on here with pure horror.
    I would say to anyone who can... get out and find something else before it is too late. These changes will be irrevocable be warned.

17. You deserve to feel proud and maintain your dignity yirq _ good on ya

18. Thank you, that means a lot. I'm not prepared to roll over and give up the fight, both for my own sake and that of others.

19. I am in the SMT and cannot stand it. I find I have to be the voice of reason when it comes to some issues discussed especially related to the performance of staff. I have seen bullying going on and I hate feeling I can't do much about it as I am usually in the minority. Horrible, horrible, horrible.

20. grrmummy

grrmummy New commenter

[​IMG] We are. Trust me some of us are listening and trying to do what we can.It all helps (I hope!)
    While we are on this subject lets also also not forget (as acknowledged recently by the Children's Commissioner) that the amount of 'informal' exclusions is arguably also refective of another form of bullying in schols directed towards both children and parents. [​IMG] To me this is yet another abuse of power by those members of the teaching profession who (as others have said on this thread) lack integrity as well as compassion. What does this really say about how widespread abuse really is in our schools?